Clustering ?

• Load Balanced Clustering
    InterWorx-CP is the first and only control panel to fully support load balanced clustering of multiple InterWorx-CP (2.1.0+) boxes. A Load balanced cluster allows you to spread your traffic over many servers and build in redundancy by having multiple servers serve your websites.

The InterWorx-CP clustering system allows you to easily create a 2+ node cluster that InterWorx-CP itself will load balance using LVS (linuxvirtualserver.org).

First of all… wow! (cheering)

Second: Does IWorx install/use LVS itself (or a custom version of LVS) or does LVS needs te be installed seperatly/manually before IWorx can make use of this?

Is there any change is licensing for this? For instance, at present I believe that if somone has 2 webservers with Iworx CP they need 2 seperate licenses. For a 2 node cluster, is 1 license enough? Since its basiclly one webserver (but clustered for safety).

As for the second part of your question, each box in the cluster will need to be running InterWorx-CP, therefore you will need an InterWorx-CP license for each.

For the first part, I’ll let Chris answer authoritatively. LVS is used.

A license for each node in the cluster seems logical indeed.

Can’t wait to give it a spin. Already preparing a few VMWare’d VPS’s to try it on.

How is clustering enabled? Also with SIM is this just a service that runs in the background or is there an interface for it?

SIM is setup as a cronjob to run every 5 minutes. The SIM cronjob entry is located in /etc/crontab.

I had the same question, its basically just a new option next to serices that can be monitored. So if you go to HTTPD you will see an option to auto restart.

Yes, actually just seen that. Now for the clustering ? :slight_smile:

Clustering, for the moment, is only supported on CentOS 4.1. LVS is installed for new installs, for those folks using CentOS 4.1 now and who want to “enable” clustering there are a few steps which we’ll have laid out in the next few days in our new doc system that is coming online. The explanation is lenghty enough that I’m not going to reproduce it here but it involves moving /home/interworx to /usr/local (and symlinking) and movingi /home/vpopmail to /var (and symlinking).

You can “prep” for the clustering stuff if you have a current CentOS 4.1 box by just doing a:

yum install ipvsadm

which installs an unmodified LVS ipvsadm binary for load balancing.

We’ll have full docs for clustering and most other functions (new and old) up by the end of the weekend so if you have technical clustering questions outside of “how do i…” I’m happy to answer them but the how to is on the way and is worth the wait :).

Chris