CNAME records?

I’m just curious why CNAME records are being used for WWW and FTP instead of A records. I know I can change it myself but just wondering why it was setup this way.

I read something on DJB’s site, that he thinks CNAME records should be eliminated:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/notes.html#aliases

Also this from a DNS Report:

OK. Some domains have a CNAME record for their WWW server that requires an extra DNS lookup, which slightly delays the initial access to the website and use extra bandwidth. There are no CNAMEs for <my-domain-name>, which is good.
Regards. :slight_smile:

I’d have to double check, but I believe we put all CNAME records in the ServerAlias line for that SiteWorx account. If you were to change the www. CNAME to an A record, I believe it would no longer show up in the ServerAlias line for that domain, and that would be bad.

I do know that Paul has addressed this “extra lookup for a CNAME” before, I’ll see if I can find it.

I just tested this out. I have a DNS zone template setup with no CNAMEs, no FTP, and an A record for WWW. I created a new SiteWorx account and checked the virtual host file. It still produced:

ServerAlias www.domain.com ftp.domain.com mail.domain.com

[QUOTE=Lightfoot;13637]I just tested this out. I have a DNS zone template setup with no CNAMEs, no FTP, and an A record for WWW. I created a new SiteWorx account and checked the virtual host file. It still produced:

ServerAlias www.domain.com ftp.domain.com mail.domain.com[/QUOTE]

So to conclude, it works ?

Pascal

As far as I can tell? :confused: None of my sites are having any trouble with this setup.

Hi,

Sorry to bump this up, but I have the same question: Why the extra lookup if in all DNS pages the recommendations are that we DON’T use CNAMES?

Daniel