Considering the switch...

Understand, I qualified it that I said “I thought” and I I did have a long discussion with them about it, not to mention that the exact same problem was pasted across their forums.

This is not meant to be a stab at EV1 at all, EV1 is great. As I said, its just something that came across my mind.

As I said, who knows, I do know that 99% of the security breaches come from employees within and not from the outside. All I know is I opened a ticket, whereas I gave them access to my system and 48 hours later I was dead in the water.

As a matter of fact that was the only way I got them to give me some time on the system, I basically pointed that finger right back at them and told them that based on industry analysis the most liklely suspect was someone within their orginazation.

This stuff I do here is just a hobby so far, my real job is with a somewhat large computer services company and I’ve had many a discussion about security breaches that occured from within that never make it to the public forum with some pretty big customers.

The point there is that no-one should trust anyone.

Least of all your wife, your best friends, as a matter of fact the only folks you can trust are your drinking buddies, they actually never remember anything:>)

Cult eh? Is there a philosophy that goes along with this cult?

I assume you have a program like putty that allows you to log into ssh. If not do a google searchfor “download putty” I don’t have the URL handy

then d rpp queries

rpm -q <packagename>

e.g rpm -q httpd (apache)

do the same for

bind named
proftpd
sendmail
vpopmail
qmail
postfix
php
mysql
psql

etc. I’m trying to figure out what else there could be.

I thought it might also list it in the control panel somewhere.

Tim

Cult eh? Is there a philosophy that goes along with this cult?

not really, just that server/website managers should be easy to use, yet powerfull.

The info below is good. Exactly what i needed. Who needs gui if you have cli?

Ok question, whats the output file type? tar.gz?

So I could back up to second hard drive, but for restore, i need to place customers backup within their site location? What if it exceeds their disk quota usage?

Thanks!

Hi,

One last missing peice.

Is there a way I can get this to increment in number or date/time for filename?
Don’t want to overwrite the backup each time. Like to keep a few days of backups before overwriting.

Also, how do you back up all domains, instead of just a domain?

–domain is one of the requirements. --domain all?

Yes, it outputs a .tar.gz.

From the CLI you can simply run: /home/interworx/bin/./convert.pex

There are parameters you can pass to convert.pex, but it is completely interactive and will prompt for any missing information. Here are the main params of interest:

–archive=<backupfilename>. Tell convert.pex where the backup file is.

–control-panel=<panel>. Valid options here are “siteworx” or “cPanel”. It will tell convert.pex what control panel backup it’s working with

–ip-address. Specify the IP address that will be used for the restored account. IP address must exist on the box.

Again, if you leave any or all of the above parameters out, interactive mode will be started and will ask for the missing information. Additional parameters are:

–force. If an account exists with the same domain as the one in the backup, it will automatically be deleted and overwritten by the backup data without prompting you.

–quiet. Tell convert.pex to run quietly (disables interactive mode). convert.pex will abort if any required information is missing (i.e., it has to prompt for it). For example, if an account exists with the same domain as the one in the backup, and --force is NOT specified, convert.pex will abort.

By using --siteworx, it will automatically generate the filename of the backup file for you. The filename “template” is:

<domain.tld><type><timestamp>.tar.gz

Where domain.tld is the domain being backed up, <timestamp> is the time the backup was started (not finished) and in the format YYYYMMDD_hhmmss. <type> indicates the type of backup. If <type> is missing, this is a full backup. A partial backup type takes the form: partial-dmw, where “d” = database, “m” = mail, and “w” = web files.

So, for example:
abc.com_20050303_155912.tar.gz is a full backup for domain ‘abc.com’ made on March 3rd, 2005 at 15:59:12 (3:59:12PM)

abc.com_partial-m_20050316_23632.tar.gz is a partial backup of mail for the domain ‘abc.com’ made on March 16th, 2005 at 2:36:32 (2:36:32AM).

abc.com_partial-dm_20050316_23632.tar.gz is the same as above, except it’s a partial backup of both database and mail files.

Currently, the only way to do this is from NodeWorx. Go to the Backup page, and you can check all the domains you want to run a backup from. If you know the all the domain names, you could write a shell script that loops over them. For example:

#!/bin/sh
for domain in "abc.com" "nexcess.net" "interworx.info" "slashdot.org"; do
  /home/interworx/bin/./backup.pex --domain=$domain
done

I would suggest not backgrounding this command because as some of you may have noticed, the backup is fairly resource intensive, so you might not want multiple backups running at once.

Thanks Socheat,

The problem with using backup from nodeworx is that we do not have the control where the files are backed up.

Ok, How do you get --siteworx option for filenaming conventions and still use --files option to place the location?

In 1.9.2, we’ve added a --file-path=<path> where you can specify the path, and the name will be generated for you.