Cron + LogWatch

Until recently (last update? 2.1.3?), any manually added cron jobs for SiteWorx accounts (non-IWorx) used to announce themselves as having executed in the next morning’s LogWatch. That’s not happening anymore (unless, of course, the jobs just aren’t running - which isn’t the case as far as I can tell).

Did something change with the reporting of Cron jobs via the LogWatch?

JB

JB, logwatch is just a tool bundled with many distros and we don’t touch it whatsoever. Maybe it was updated at some point by the distro and that changed the default settings?

Chrsi

Maybe. Just fishing for thoughts, really.

I know that at one point, in regards to the LogWatch reporting for the vpopmail application, the implementation IWorx used in one release created a different output in the logwatch than another point release (e.g. one release showing every authentication request to popmail, and another not showing them).

I wasn’t sure if there was some manipulation similar with the handling of cron job reporting between recent point releases or not.

I’ll keep hunting.

JB

I’d definitely check the YUM log and check to see if /etc/cron.daily/logwatch (or somethnig similar) exists.

Chris

Well, on in the Yum.log I’m seeing the following:

Jul 13 13:33:11 Updated: vixie-cron.i386 4:4.1-44.EL4

… might this be the culprit for the change?

JB

Doubtufl, it seems like more of a logwatch specific issue (like some config change in logwatch). How were the accounts “announced”? Via an /etc/passwd change?

Chris

oops - poor description on my part.

An existing SiteWorx account creates a cron job. The next (and subsequent) morning’s LogWatch lists (‘announces’) that that job (and any other non-IWorx ones) executed.

At least, that’s what used to happen. It was nice to get that listing of cron executions, even if only as a reminder of the current jobs on the box.

JB

what version of logwatch are you running?

################### LogWatch 5.2.2 (06/23/04) ####################
Processing Initiated: Mon Jul 31 04:02:02 2006
Date Range Processed: yesterday
Detail Level of Output: 0

JB

Take a look around the config file maybe?

/etc/log.d/conf/logwatch.conf

I’m running the same version.