Custom changes/extensions integration

Hi,

just two quick questions:

1. I would like PTR (reverse) records for all my IPs to be generated automatically. Algorithm is pretty simple, PTR records are easily computable from iworx DNS tables, I just wonder how should I best go about it (script which modifies iworx db and is started periodically from cron, etc.)?

2. Because quota does not work on files created by mod_php, I’d like to use suphp on all accounts by default. Are there some apache configuration templates I could modify somewhere, so that I do not have to do this manually for every new account?

In both cases, it’s fundamental that the customizations are not overwritten with Interworx-CP updates. Have you been thinking about some public API and a plug-in system for these customizations? I think it would be really helpful to lots of iworx-CP users.

Thanks for advice,

Martin

Hi Maud,

Thanks for writing.

[quote=Muad;9455]Hi,

just two quick questions:

1. I would like PTR (reverse) records for all my IPs to be generated automatically. Algorithm is pretty simple, PTR records are easily computable from iworx DNS tables, I just wonder how should I best go about it (script which modifies iworx db and is started periodically from cron, etc.)?

[/quote]

Data centers almiost never allow you to specify this on the box and then have it take effect. Without exception in my experience you need to get the data center to do it for you, so doing this on the Iworx box doesn’t really do any good as the data isn’t passed into the DNS system. The 1.x version of Iworx allowed you to specify the RDNS you wanted for each IP but it just confused customers who wondered why these entries didn’t work.

1. Because quota does not work on files created by mod_php, I’d like to use suphp on all accounts by default. Are there some apache configuration templates I could modify somewhere, so that I do not have to do this manually for every new account?

The file /home/interworx/etc/vhost-base.conf is the template for new virtual host configuration files. The existing config files are located in /etc/httpd/conf.d and will need to be manually edited you’ve already created the SiteWorx account.

In both cases, it’s fundamental that the customizations are not overwritten with Interworx-CP updates. Have you been thinking about some public API and a plug-in system for these customizations? I think it would be really helpful to lots of iworx-CP users.

DNS entries are stored in a database so there is no need to wory about being overwritten.

Also, with the exception of files in the interworx directory

/home/interworx

You can prety much edit anything and not risk being overwritten. The template file I listed above should be fine as well.

Tim

Hi Tim, thanks for reply.

Sure I wouldn’t want to manage PTR records if the IP zone was not delegated to my nameservers. But it is, and it would really help me if I could automate it some way, because in my case there’s an easy 1:1 mapping between DNS names na IPs.

I am thinking about a script started periodically from cron, which would read all A records from dns_records table and create/update corresponding PTR records. Just don’t know what should I do then to force Interworx-CP to regenerate TinyDNS configuration.

On a side note, even though there is no stand-alone zone for the reverse IP zones in Interworx-CP/TinyDNS (like I was used to in Bind), I’ve created a few PTR records manually in one of my domains and it seems to work. Is TinyDNS/Interworx-CP supposed to work this way, i.e. is it truth that it doesn’t matter which domain I put all the PTR records to? Does it serve the reverse IP zones correctly according to specs etc.?

Another solution that comes to my mind is to directly generate TinyDNS data for the IP zone, but I don’t know how to merge it with data from InterWorx-CP.

As for the Apache vhost configuration, thanks for pointing me to the configuration template location. That’s exactly what I needed.

Regards,

Martin

[quote=Muad;9469]

I am thinking about a script started periodically from cron, which would read all A records from dns_records table and create/update corresponding PTR records. Just don’t know what should I do then to force Interworx-CP to regenerate TinyDNS configuration. [/quote]

As I understand it, this would only work on dedicated IP’s as each IP can only have one RDNS entry. Your data center is the first that I’ve heard of which allowed these to go through.

As for the Apache vhost configuration, thanks for pointing me to the configuration template location. That’s exactly what I needed.

No problem :slight_smile: