Disable AWStats?

According to this page: http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/awstats_benchmark.html if you have 4mil+ hits per month, you shouldn’t really use awstats…

My server gets over 15 million hits per month… so awstats is a bit of a problem at generation time.

So is it possible to disable awstats, but still leave the others (webalizer, analog and whatever)?

Thanks

EDIT:
/home/interworx/iworx.ini

CHANGE:
[stats.awstats]
enabled=“1”
monthly_day=“01”
weekly_day=“monday”

TO:
[stats.awstats]
enabled=“0”
monthly_day=“01”
weekly_day=“monday”

THEN:
service iworx restart

That should do it

THEN:
service iworx restart

Actually, a restart isn’t even needed :). The stats cron will see the new INI changes when it runs next regardless.

Chris

Yeah, that makes sense :smiley:

Thanks Justec :slight_smile:

I know this is nicky picky, but actually what the AWStats says is “+4,000,000 visits/month” NOT HITS. There is a big difference between hits and visits.

But each HIT is logged, and awstats parses each line in the log file, whether it’s a page, an image, or some other file type.

Yes that is correct, but the AWStats page address Visits not hits as here is AWStats own definion of HITS:
This is other important information to know:

• A log file size is about 150 (NCSA common/CLF log files) to 320 times (NCSA extended/XLF/ELF log files) its number of lines,
  • 1,000 visits = 8,000 pages (with 8 pages/visits) = 64,000 lines (with 8 hits/page) = 20 MB file => 15 seconds (Athlon 1GHz, Standard Perl 5.8)

So using the formula obtained from the AWStats web site you would need to have/exceed 32,000,000 “HITS” for this recommendation.

So thus…if your site is getting more than 32,000,000 HITS per month then it would be a problem. At least this is how I read it.

The stuff on one line of a log file for index.html is going to be exactly the same as the stuff for some_random_image.png, apart from the file name, file size and time of request. It’s still a line, it still has to be counted.

Awstats makes a distinction between Hits and Pages so that people can see how many people went to *.html, *.php etc (pages), and how many requests there were for all files (hits).