DNS Not updating

Whenever i add a subdomain to a domain through interworx, either the records are not being correctly updated or there are other issues at hand.

some of the entries that i have deleted (such as mail.example.com) are still there and its been 2 days since i deleted it.

I changed my domains default MX records, added a couple subdomains and nothing is working.

What could be the problem? is there a way to force the dns update to actually take place?

The most common reason for this problem is that there is hanging a ‘yum update’ process on the system that is preventing the iworx.pex --fively from running.

Do a “ps aux | grep yum” to see if there’s an old ‘yum update’ that’s just sitting around. If so, kill the process. It may fork off a second process a few seconds after, so check again in a minute or so.

Then, check that the iworx.pex --fively is being run. Look in /var/log/cron and confirm you see the fively running every 5 minutes. Then look in /home/interworx/var/log/iworx.log to see if the iworx.pex --fively is producing any errors.


Mar 03 13:45:06 dns.php [debug] dns.php --sync --export --cdb
Mar 03 13:45:06 dns.php [info] 34 dns records (forwards) exported successfully
Mar 03 13:45:06 dns.php [info] no dns records (reverse) exported successfully
Mar 03 13:45:06 dns.php [info] building dns file from 1 files
Mar 03 13:45:06 dns.php [debug] adding /home/interworx/var/lib/dns/data-local to published DNS
Mar 03 13:45:06 dns.php [info] killing old dns cdb file: data.cdb
Mar 03 13:45:06 dns.php [info] generating new dns cdb file: data.cdb
Mar 03 13:45:06 dns.php [info] installing new dns cdb file: data.cdb to: /var/djbdns/tinydns/root
Mar 03 13:45:06 dns.php [info] script end

Seems ok there

augamecock.com 9 Records
thegambrells.com Pointing to augamecock.com 8 Records
underthemain.net 17 Records

partial /home/interworx/var/lib/dns/data-local


dig MX underthemain.net

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> MX underthemain.net
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 16042
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;underthemain.net. IN MX

underthemain.net. 42368 IN MX 10 mail.underthemain.net.

;; Query time: 5 msec
;; WHEN: Sat Mar 3 13:49:48 2007
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 55

Whats interesting is that yesterday the MX queries were correct, today they are back to default.

If you query your box directly, it looks like your box is returning the correct results:

socheat@box:~$ nslookup 
> server
Default server:
> set type=MX 
> underthemain.net

underthemain.net	mail exchanger = 10 ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
underthemain.net	mail exchanger = 10 ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
underthemain.net	mail exchanger = 1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
underthemain.net	mail exchanger = 5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
underthemain.net	mail exchanger = 5 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
underthemain.net	mail exchanger = 10 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
underthemain.net	mail exchanger = 10 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.

underthemain.net currently uses Sago’s DNS servers, ns1/ns2.cust.sagonet.com. They use a special setup that polls InterWorx boxes for DNS updates and then updates their records accordingly. For some reason, it doesn’t seem to be working for your box.

Since your box is properly exporting the records, you could set up your InterWorx box to act as it’s own nameservers. Please see the following link:



Finally http://gmail.underthemain.net works !


You guys should somehow work in support for that as an email option over qmail.