dns PTR records

Hi,

When I try to define a PTR record in the dns management I have an error saying BAD ip address

I enter these informations (the ip is not the real one)
ex : for an IP 98.100.65.52 domain1.carat-hosting.com

52.65.100.98.in-addr.arpa PTR domain1.carat-hosting.com

the message is : Invalid Ip adress

But it seems to work if I enter the name in the IP management under reverse DNS (ptr record)

Thanks
pascal

When I try to define a PTR record in the dns management I have an error saying BAD ip address

I enter these informations (the ip is not the real one)
ex : for an IP 98.100.65.52 domain1.carat-hosting.com

52.65.100.98.in-addr.arpa PTR domain1.carat-hosting.com

the message is : Invalid Ip adress

But it seems to work if I enter the name in the IP management under reverse DNS (ptr record)

If it allows you to add a in-addr.arpa entry then that’s a bug. All input should be as IP addresses only as the in-addr.arpa is added when DNS is exported.

Regarding PTRs in general:

In the IP address interface - These will only work if you’re using Sago Networks ns1.cust.sagonet.com and ns2.cust.sagonet.com DNS servers OR if you are using the InterWorx-CP box itself as a DNS server and you have your ISP delegate reverse DNS authority to your server.

In the DNS interface - Like above, you have to be using Sago’s ns1.cust / ns2.cust OR be using your InterWorx-CP box + have delegation from your ISP.

Chris

If it allows you to add a in-addr.arpa entry then that’s a bug. All input should be as IP addresses only as the in-addr.arpa is added when DNS is exported.

Well in fact, when you choose a PTR records the host field is filled with “in-addr.arpa” and the IP field is filled with <host>. So yes maybe it’s a little bug

OR be using your InterWorx-CP box

Using my Interwor-CP box ?

Well I have my own DNS server, ns1.carat-hosting.com and ns2.carat-hosting.com on my box

I’ve defined them with domainsite.com and I update dns records with Interworx. In fact, If I remimber well I have used the tim’s FAQ to create my own DNS server.

To understand well, Why my ISP has to delegate reverse DNS authority to my server ??? (we are talking about the society who provides me my internet connexion, right ?? ==> english/french just to be sure)

Thanks Chris

Quote:

Well in fact, when you choose a PTR records the host field is filled with “in-addr.arpa” and the IP field is filled with <host>. So yes maybe it’s a little bug

Let me check this out, I may have been answering before remembering correctly :).

To understand well, Why my ISP has to delegate reverse DNS authority to my server ??? (we are talking about the society who provides me my internet connexion, right ?? ==> english/french just to be sure)

We’re talking about the bandwidth provider for your server (Sago, perhaps in this instance). The problem is that most ISPs will not sub-delagate reverse DNS (it’s just an accounting hassle wheny you’re dealing with thousands of boxes). But feel free to ask them.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I’ll ask to sago to delegate me reverse DNS authority to my server.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

this is fixed in 1.9.0.

Chris