DNS slave zones

I have 2 servers both use Interworx. One is located in Europe the other in the US. I need to set them up to be each others secondary dns server. SO basicly I need to find some way to to have the EU server update the US server anytime ther eis a zone modification and vice versa. With Bind I know how to do this but you guys dont use bind so I have no clue how to get this set up. How can I accomplish this?

I would like to know how to setup slave zones too :slight_smile:

It’s currently a hidden, beta feature in InterWorx 2.1.4 but we’ve been using it for a while, and a handful of clients have as well, without any problems. Here’s how to do it:

On server #2, in NodeWorx, go to:
Server -> Setup -> API Key, and click Generate, if you don’t already have an API key there.

Copy this API key.

On server #1, in NodeWorx go to:
System Services -> DNS Server -> Overview

Then, in the URL, add “?mode=sync”, so that your URL looks something like this:
https://yourip:2443/nodeworx/dns.php?mode=sync

Enter the hostname of server #2 in the hostname field, and paste server #2’s API key in the API key textbox.

Click Add.

Server #2 is now “listening” for DNS changes on Server #1. When DNS changes happen on Server #1, Server #2 will update with those changes within 5 minutes or so.

At this point, you can do a circular setup and setup Server #1 to listen for changes on Server #2 as well.

Hope that helps,
Socheat

Great! Now do I need to do anything to inciate the inital trnasfer or will it do it on its own?

Nope. As long as the iworx.pex --fively is running as it should, data will be synced roughly every 5 minutes. You can look in ~iworx/var/log/iworx.log and /var/log/cron to confirm that the iworx.pex --fively is running.

Socheat

I can confirm we’ve been running this for around 2.5 months now and it works perfectly. We have a seperate domain setup with name servers registered across our Iworx servers. Works a charm! :smiley:

Yeap it apears to work so far…

BTW thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to do it with non-Iworx DNS servers?
eg. To use my Iworx box as a slave to another DNS server, without that box needing IWorx installed.

We don’t have a supported method to sync to a non-iworx server. However, the DNS data is exported on an InterWorx box to /home/interworx/var/lib/dns/ (data and data.cdb). You could write your own script to grab that file and do whatever you need to do with it.

Now it is broke

I had a server crash and had to rebuild last month. I followed these steps again and they show up on both servers however for some reason it is not syncing one of the directions. Anything on my ns1 is not being pushed to ns2 however ns2 is pushing to ns1. Any ideas?

Hi

If you have re-installed everything the API key might have changed. I’d check the API is the good one.

Also you might have a look at the iworx logs : /home/interworx/var/log/iworx.log and look for iworx.dns_get_data

Pascal