DNS zone templates?

The DNS zone templates are slightly off specifications…

I would like to know where to fix these.

And just FYI:

All NS records for custom NS levels (resellers) are (specification wise) supposed to have A records in their domain level DNS - for example:

ns1.domainexample.com IN A 1.1.1.1
ns2.domainexample.com IN A 1.1.1.2

The WWW record is wrong, it should not be www.domain.com CNAME domain, it should be www CNAME domain. WWW then should have an A record, www.domain.com IN A ip

This btw fixes many things and provides a more efficient server. It cuts back on requests by HALF, and also requires less CPU time and less bandwidth.

Just FYI :slight_smile:

And if anyone knows where I can find the templates… I’m not all that familiar with tinydns, just bind :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks ahead of time.

Btw, what needs to be edited is the WWW settings…

www should get 1 change to www without the domain, and then another line added for an A record.

:slight_smile:

Hi,

As far as I know there is no template for the “default” dns creation.

And I don’t see why it is wrong and why your solution is better, could you please explain ?

Pascal

This is a little bit more complicated than I thought.

The DNS templates need to be modified quite a bit, because all sub domains get added improperly.

All subdomains need a cname for just the plain subdomain, to the top domain… and then need the fqdn (subdomain.domain.com) to be assigned an A entry with the ip address…

I just had to change quite a few zones lol.

[quote=pascal;11627]Hi,

As far as I know there is no template for the “default” dns creation.

And I don’t see why it is wrong and why your solution is better, could you please explain ?

Pascal[/quote]

Yes, for example, for the WWW entry…

When you have a www cname with example:

WWW.DOMAIN.COM. CNAME DOMAIN.COM.

and your browser makes a query to it (you put in www.domain.com in your browser), then your browser has to make TWO queries to that domain, one to find out www.domain.com points to domain.com and another to find out what ip address domain.com points to.

With two entries:

WWW CNAME DOMAIN.COM

and

WWW.DOMAIN.COM IN A 1.1.1.1

the browser need only make 1 query.

You cut the majority of your domain requests to HALF of the normal request, reducing CPU time and bandwidth needed for those domain requests.

If you have 100 domains that are getting accessed only 5 times a second, thats 500 times a second, or 1000 DNS requests per second.

Reduce that to 500, and in a 24 hour period, you’ll see a difference in resource usage :wink:

A great place to test your DNS out for errors/warning and the like:

www.dnsreport.com

Just put your domain name in, and it’ll traverse your nameserver entries.

In some areas, this can improve the responsiveness of your site by a huge amount.

I’d be willing to give my assistance to anyone who needs it in resolving an issue they’ve got :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that in theory, using an “A” record could be considered better, although I don’t know if there is an actual noticable difference in practice. Of all the hosting related processes running on your server, tinydns is probably the least resource intensive of them all - I’ve never seen tinydns use more than a fraction of a percent of CPU even on extremely busy tinydns DNS servers. That combined with caching nameservers used all over the place drops the number of requests to the main dns servers for your domain even lower.

DNS templates will be available in the upcoming release, so making this change will be easy soon.

I have a question regarding your proposed change, what purpose does the:

WWW CNAME DOMAIN.COM

entry serve?

Why is it needed in addition to the

WWW.DOMAIN.COM IN A 1.1.1.1

entry?

Thanks!

Paul