Dns

When I installed interworx and loged in, it asked me for the following:

Version:               [<a href="javascript:quickhelp('LG_QH_DNS_SERVER_VERSION');">?</a>]                                         1.05 (djbdns)                                                       [B]Default DNS Servers[/B]

Primary DNS:               [<a href="javascript:quickhelp('LG_QH_PRIMARY_NAMESERVER');">?</a>]                                         
                                                          Secondary DNS:               [<a href="javascript:quickhelp('LG_QH_SECONDARY_NAMESERVER');">?</a>]                                         
                                                          Tertiary DNS:               [<a href="javascript:quickhelp('LG_QH_TERTIARY_NAMESERVER');">?</a>]                                         

Do I put the DNS setting I got from my ISP?

Well you will need to setup those at your registrar or if you are not running your own, put the ones you want all domains to use.

I understand everything in interworks besides DNS because I have’t had a Static IP and I never got to play with it. But I got my static IP last week, so I think it should work now. but I’m still having trouble understandong what to do, I have a interworx server with no domain, but I got a domain from yahoo small bussiness, whats the best way I can transfer that to my interworx server? and should I put ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com in the DNS setting in interworx?

You will need to get your registrar (yahoo small business) to create two nameservers

ns1.whatever-your-domain-is.com
ns2.whatever_your-domain-is.com

pointing to at least one IP on your box (it’s recommended you use two diff IP’s) before you can add that to NodeWorx.

Hello,

I got getmedia.org with joker.com registrar.

Now I added ns1.getmedia.org and ns2.getmedia.org nameservers at my joker.com control panel. And I made them point at my first two IPs that I got at my nodeworx dedicated server intall at virtuosonetsolutions… and I changed the DNS for that getmedia.org domains from my previous ns1.dreamhost.com to my new ns1.getmedia.org as well for ns2.

Is there anything else to do than to wait a few days for the DNS nameservers to be created and the DNS change to be registered accross the internet?

A whois search at http://joker.com/ for ns1.getmedia.org shows my noteworx IP 147.202.68.2 but at http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=ns1.getmedia.org&type=nameserver it says something about:

(Results flagged as “NOT AUTHORITATIVE” should be checked with the registrar’s whois server.)

I did the ns setup and change yesterday at joker.com is all I need to do just wait some more days for it to work?

The link you posted does not work for me but I ran it throug a different lookup site and all is as it should be, but you sould not have to wait days – most dns propogation now is under an hour.

http://www.whois.ws/whois-org/ip-address/getmedia.org/

Thanks…

I setup my ns1.getmedia.org and ns2.getmedia.org to point to the 2 first IP of the 5 IPs that my dedicated host virtuosonetsolutions has given me.

Could it be when one wants to add new nameservers to the global registry, that it takes longer than to do a normal nameserver change?

I am now trying to point some of my domains and subdomains externally onto the IPs of my dedicated server, and it works fine… until my new nameservers work.

I would like to have one root FTP account with which I can see all my folders, and it would be nice to point each domain or subdomain to whichever folder I want… Is that possible or does it pick folders automatically? Can I with one ftp account access all domains even if some of them have different dedicated IPs?

Thanks in advance for helping me… It’s the first time I try to use a dedicated server, and it’s overwhelming a little bit at first, with the SSH I had to reset the clock to fix some nodeworx licence countdown thing, now it’s fine… Anyways it looks cool and I am looking forward to use my new dedicated server.

Could be – when I’ve created nemeservers in the past it’s always begun working within a few hours for domains in the same tld. For example my personal box uses .net nameservers and other .com and .net sites recognize it prety quickly.

Generally my registrar has to “introduce” those nameservers to the .org and .info registrars for some reason. That could also be your problem.

I am now trying to point some of my domains and subdomains externally onto the IPs of my dedicated server, and it works fine… until my new nameservers work.

I would like to have one root FTP account with which I can see all my folders, and it would be nice to point each domain or subdomain to whichever folder I want… Is that possible or does it pick folders automatically? Can I with one ftp account access all domains even if some of them have different dedicated IPs?

Well if you log into sftp as root that will give you access to the entire file system, but that’s gernerally not recommended

As for pointing domains and suboomains to whatever folder you want, that’s not possible right now – for many reasons – and while some flexibility will be written into the system in a future release, a lot of it has to do how the system (both Linux and InterWorx) was put together in the first place.

Thanks in advance for helping me… It’s the first time I try to use a dedicated server, and it’s overwhelming a little bit at first, with the SSH I had to reset the clock to fix some nodeworx licence countdown thing, now it’s fine… Anyways it looks cool and I am looking forward to use my new dedicated server.

You’re in the same spot as I was two years ago, it’s no problem :slight_smile: