Domains and DNS

Is there any easy way to change what domain nodeworx thinks it is administering? My new installation keeps claiming I’m administering a subdomain that doesn’t even exist despite the fact that I’ve modified /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network to reflect the proper domain.

Also, if I want to set up a siteworx account for a subdomain it appears I need to leave the zone it creates or else it will display info from other zones in the user’s subdomain area (and allow them to edit it!!). Is it safe to leave a zone that just contains a sub.whatever.com class A and SOA and nothing else? I’ve always kept the subdomains within the zone of the primary before.

Is there any easy way to change what domain nodeworx thinks it is administering? My new installation keeps claiming I’m administering a subdomain that doesn’t even exist despite the fact that I’ve modified /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network to reflect the proper domain.

If you’re referring to the domain shown in the main NodeWorx console all you have to do is edit /home/interworx/iworx.ini. There’s an entry called “hostname”, should look something like:

hostname="your.host.here"

All you have to do is change that to what you want :).

Also, if I want to set up a siteworx account for a subdomain it appears I need to leave the zone it creates or else it will display info from other zones in the user’s subdomain area (and allow them to edit it!!). Is it safe to leave a zone that just contains a sub.whatever.com class A and SOA and nothing else? I’ve always kept the subdomains within the zone of the primary before.

Paul,

Could you elaborate a bit. You should be able to create a SiteWorx account using subdomain notation (i.e. sub.domain.com) and it should work “normally”.

Chris

If you’re referring to the domain shown in the main NodeWorx console all you have to do is edit /home/interworx/iworx.ini. There’s an entry called “hostname”, should look something like:

hostname="your.host.here"

All you have to do is change that to what you want :).

Wow do I feel stupid, I poked around in all the subdirectories in there but never saw the obvious .ini.

Paul,

Could you elaborate a bit. You should be able to create a SiteWorx account using subdomain notation (i.e. sub.domain.com) and it should work “normally”.

Chris

That basically answers my question. If that works then great. Many of my users are on sub.domain.com setups and I just wanted to be sure that the zones that nodeworx adds to the DNS weren’t going to cause a problem.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Well i have the same question with Paul,(the second one) i have a reseller so a friend asked some space to give him. What can i do ?

1.Can i create an account sub.mysite.com (if i already seted up mysite.com as an account) or

1. Create a subdomain from siteworx and then an ftp account?( with this way if he wants sql he will be able to see my databases).

So can No.1 be done? Is there any solution with No.2 not to see my databases ?