External IP?

In the IP management area, there’s a new field I haven’t seen before…

And it’s not in the documentation either.

External IP (For DNS)

What does it do/mean?

I’ve just noticed that this field is only in my new installation of InterWorx that I did a few days ago, but is not on my current server.

The new server has a 192.168.x.x IP address, as well as some others - is this what’s making the boxes show?

Hi Fr3d,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Yes, when an internal IP is on the box, you will see the additional “External IP” field.

Socheat

Erm … Really? (I’m not seeing it under “IP Management” - but I am taking a quick look).

[QUOTE=IWorx-Socheat;9719]Hi Fr3d,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Yes, when an internal IP is on the box, you will see the additional “External IP” field.

Socheat[/QUOTE]

Thanks Socheat :slight_smile:

Just out of interest, what difference does it make?

Just to note that it also shows the box for all the other IPs too (which aren’t active yet, but are non-private and not in the ranges: 192.168.0.0/16, 169.254.0.0/16, 10.0.0.0/8 or 172.16.0.0/12 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network ) ).

[quote=Fr3d;9721]Thanks Socheat :slight_smile:

Just out of interest, what difference does it make?

Just to note that it also shows the box for all the other IPs too (which aren’t active yet, but are non-private and not in the ranges: 192.168.0.0/16, 169.254.0.0/16, 10.0.0.0/8 or 172.16.0.0/12 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network ) ).[/quote]

Iworx has to be able to communicate with our licensing server 4 times a day and it can’t do that if it’s bound to an internal IP.

EDIT: Nor do Internal IP’s work for websites as they aren’t accessable from the WWW.

It seems to work fine for me…

What works for you? Anything on an internal IP should not have access to the www. If you are on the same network yes but not the www

You have internal and external IP’s because your DC has both Internal and external IP’s mapped to your box.

My server isn’t in a datacenter yet, so I gave it an internal IP so I could get everything installed on it at home on my network. It accesses the 'net through NAT on my routers, with the ports opened on the firewalls too.