Graphs.

For no reason that I can deduce, reporting graphs now show as broken images. This was a sudden change, which I can not link to any actions taken on the server. The last thing done before this started happening was the import of an account, but there were quite a few hours between that event and the images breaking during which they were displaying properly.

This system is running interworx 2.1.0 on CentOS 4.

John Kelley
Unix Systems Engineer

Pattern Recognition Inc.
400 East Palm Avenue
Tampa, FL 33602
tel. 813-600-5176
fax: 813-433-2582
www.patternrecognitioninc.com

John,

I’d verify a few things:

1. that RRDtool is installed by doing a: rpm -q rrdtool

2. that the InterWorx-CP cron jobs are running (look in the /home/interworx/var/log/iworx.log for a recent timestamp)

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. If those 2 check out I’d encourage you to open up a ticket so we can check it out.

Chris

rrdtool-1.2.9-1.2.e14.test is installed.

In iworx.log, I see RRD UPDATING: to the various services.

also in the iworx.log, I am seeing an error:
bandwidth.php [error] no such file:

That is the only error. I will open a ticket, but this machine is on a private network behind a firewall.

John Kelley
Unix Systems Engineer

Pattern Recognition Inc.
400 East Palm Avenue
Tampa, FL 33602
tel. 813-600-5176
fax: 813-433-2582
www.patternrecognitioninc.com

Wait for Chris for confirmation but I think this is your problem: you have the .test version of the RPM.

I checked and I have rrdtool-1.0.50-1.1.el3.rf (no .test)

Were you a best tester or something?

opened a ticket. prolem is fixed. that was not the issue… i’ll post the fix later, its late and the fix was long-ish.

I am having the same problem. Could you please post the fix? :slight_smile:

Hi Jimp,

Can you confirm (depending on your setup/version of InterWorx) that /home/interworx/var/lib/rrd or /usr/local/interworx/var/lib/rrd exists? This was the source of John’s problem, if I recall correctly.

Socheat

I have both /home/interworx/var/lib AND /usr/local/interworx/var/lib. However, I only have /home/interworx/var/lib/rrd, and it is empty.

Isn’t /home/interworx supposed to be a symlink to /usr/local/interworx? I’m almost certain I saw the installer say “Moving /home/interworx to /usr/local/interworx.” And I thought I recall seeing /home/interworx -> /usr/local/interworx. :confused:

AFAIK, I have not been tampering with my setup, but I also don’t know what do to now. It would seem to me that the new version could be writing to both locations, confident that the /home/interworx symlink (which I don’t have) would take care of the everything. Should I open a support ticket?

I fixed it but…

I created /usr/local/interworx/var/lib/rrd, chown iworx:iworx, chmod 0700. I ran iworx.pex --fively, and the graphs appeared. They are empty, but at least they have started collecting data.

However, I am a bit concerned that I appear to be working with 2 “interworx” folders. Obviously the rrdtool output is going to /usr/local/interworx, but /var/spool/cron/iworx calls on /home/interworx. I know the symlink must be necessary, but I don’t know what data is going where… :frowning:

ls -l /home/interworx/var/lib/

total 0
drwx------ 2 iworx iworx 32 Oct 21 22:07 dns
drwx------ 9 iworx iworx 120 Oct 20 06:28 mysql
drwx------ 2 iworx iworx 6 Oct 3 16:06 rrd
drwx------ 4 iworx iworx 35 Oct 19 17:55 squirrelmail

ls -l /usr/local/interworx/var/lib/

total 0
drwx------ 9 iworx iworx 120 Oct 19 17:42 mysql
drwx------ 2 iworx iworx 251 Oct 21 22:04 rrd

(rrd was not there before I created it)

One more observation. The SiteWorx graphs have worked the whole time. Only the NodeWorx ones were broken.

Hi Jimp, you’re right to be concerned about the two iworx instances. This obviously came about during the “reinstall” (for anyone reading this, Jimp can attest that attempting to reinstall interworx once you already have accounts on the box is a bad idea).

If you open up /home/interworx/iworx.ini, and search for instances of “/usr/local/interworx/var/lib/rrd”, you can probably change the /usr/local/interworx to /home/interworx and it’ll put the rrd’s in “normal” location.

Those rrd’s are probably the only thing that are being accessed via /usr/local/interworx, but I wouldn’t wipe them out without one of us taking a peek.

Paul

Paul

Yes indeed. I lost a lot of sleep over that one. A “reinstall” takes your good mood down this path:

:slight_smile: :confused: :smiley: :eek: :mad: … :o … :slight_smile:

The :confused: is when customer calls repeatedly within an hour, while you are trying to fix the problem.

The :smiley: is when you think “reinstalling InterWorx-CP will fix this problem – all without stopping the InterWorx guys who are undoubtly working on wonderful new features!” WRONG. This will not fix anything, but will do a great job of reinitializing your precious SiteWorx account database.

The :o is when Paul showed me what I did wrong, and helped me formulate a plan for rebuilding the missing SiteWorx data. The customer data was all still there, but completely in the way…

Reinstalling is definately a bad idea, but a “repair” script could be in order. Only 3 customers even noticed, but it surely would have been much worse on a busier box. On the bright side, all were pleased that their websites were still online despite the terrible destruction I delivered to the underlying control panel.

Is InterWorx-CP on a journey towards /home or /usr/local? I am simply curious if pointing iworx.ini values at /home/interworx, and not having a /home/interworx symlink to /usr/local/interworx will cause problems in the future. Non-standard installations + automatic updates sounds dangerous.

Can we continue with our open support ticket?

Btw, I documented the steps it took to purge an account from the system so NodeWorx could reuse the unique name. I’ll post the steps in the Hacks, Tools, Tips, and Tricks forum when I get back to the office Monday.

I’d suggest anybody who does a reinstall back up the tables of the interworx database before dioing it so you can add them back later if needed.

And as for what you did wrong, let me guess, you reran goiwrox.pex :frowning:

To anyone reading this NEVER ERVER do that or the interworx database will go bye bye :frowning:

Is InterWorx-CP on a journey towards /home or /usr/local? I am simply curious if pointing iworx.ini values at /home/interworx, and not having a /home/interworx symlink to /usr/local/interworx will cause problems in the future. Non-standard installations + automatic updates sounds dangerous.

I can answer this one:

Yes, in oder for clustering to work the interworx and vpopmail directories have to be removed from /home (or /chroot/home if you have jailed shells set up). New installs of 2.1 and later do this automatically but updaters need to move them by hand as part of the clustering setup.