Installing Interworx on Raspberry Pi 4

Raspberry Pi 4

Hi everyone, I’ve been trying to get Interworx installed on Raspberry Pi 4 as I’ve seen that this has been possible in the past.

However, upon looking over the documentation, the knowledgebase, Reddit, and these forums; there seems to be very little reference to running it on ARM architecture.

Has support for Pi been dropped / was it ever there to begin with?

I’ve tried cPanel and Plesk, it looks like Interworx was the one that was going to pick up support :frowning:

Hi

Welcome to IW forums

I believe from me memory pi support was stopped a number of years ago

I thought it was only installable in IW 5 or early IW6 version and not on Debian pi release

I hope that helps but you could ask IW support by email or open a support ticket and ask

IW-Jenna or IW-Brandon will most likely post as well

Many thanks

John

Hello @HamsterBird,

Yes, there currently is no support for ARM architecture in InterWorx. We previously did build for ARM, but adoption was very low and the project stalled. We have an open feature request to reintroduce ARM support, but it’s only been requested twice (well, now three times) in the last year and a half. As a Raspberry PI lover myself, it certainly would be interesting to be able to run InterWorx on there, but it doesn’t appear there is much demand for it at the moment.

I’ve bumped the existing feature request and we’ll continue to monitor the demand for ARM support as we move forward.

Thank you,
Brandon

Hi Brandon!

You can add a 4th vote for this option! :wink:

With an affordable licence to create a cluster it could be a pretty interesting and easily scallable option!

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your reply. That is indeed a shame, I hope the people above realise what an opportunity it would be to revive ARM support soon.

Hi @nico

Try here but it is old and I think wrong armv - it is about the year when it was been introduced (give or take a year anyway)

https://updates.interworx.com/iworx-beta/RPMS/rhe6x/armv5tel/repodata/

Good luck but I do not think IW would support arm

Many thanks

John

Hello @Nico ,

Sorry if my post gave the impression that we recently stopped building for ARM. Building for ARM ceased back in 2013. As CentOS 7 wasn’t released until 2014, no CentOS 7 RPMs have ever been built with ARM support. The repo John included appears to be for a different ARM architecture than what the Raspberry Pi supports and likely wouldn’t work (even if CentOS 6 wasn’t EOL). Even if you could find a way to get it to work, you’d likely be installing an incredibly outdated set of components for InterWorx. And as John alluded to, it would be an entirely unsupported setup.

Looking through our historical information regarding the old ARM builds and Raspberry PIs, I’m not even sure the build ever worked on Raspberry Pi(s). Our internal documentation regarding deploying InterWorx on Raspberry Pis provides information on how to setup the Pi and then in a section labeled “Installing InterWorx” there is a giant warning that just says “THIS METHOD DOES NOT YET WORK.” As such, I find no indication that the previous ARM builds ever actually worked on Raspberry Pis.

All this information together points to the fact that installing a modern version of InterWorx on a modern OS on the ARM platform is likely entirely impossible.

I will absolutely pass on the requests that we get for ARM support up the chain of command, but it’s tough to envision InterWorx’s stance on ARM support changing with only a handful of requests.

Hi

Sorry just having a cold cold beer but just read this

The original pi was used and was no near powerful enough to run interworx properly

I know a few did get it to work and commented the best usage was for a slave dns server but even then it was not good enough for a moderate dns server.

Coupled to that the memory card would cease to work after a fixed point of writes

I think it was a pet project only and used as a selling aide to bring interworx more into the spot light

I could be wrong though as I have had a cold beer but that’s what I remember from 2013 ish

Many thanks

John

I’m going to throw my hat into the ring and upvote this feature here.

We’re looking at moving into doing quite a bit more with ARM, starting with the Pi CM4s, and being able to offer Interworx on that would be awesome!

Jon

I will try to install it . in my respberry pie

1 Like

You Will Need:

• One (1) Raspberry Pi board
  • One (1) SD card, 2GB or greater
  • One (1) USB ↔ Micro USB cable
  • One (1) Ethernet cable
  • One (1) HDMI cable
  • One (1) USB Keyboard
  • One (1) HDMI-capable monitor

This particular setup can scale with InterWorx’s clustering, so multiply the above list as need arises.

Installing RedSleeve, you can get the RedSleeve CLI image for V2 Raspberry Pi’s here: http://updates.interworx.com/images/raspi-v2-redsleeve-cli-0.3.img.xz

Write the image to your SD card (here assumed to be located at /dev/sdb, please ensure you have the right path) and run:
xz -cd raspi-v2-redsleeve-cli-0.3.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=8M

Remove SD card and insert into Raspberry Pi.

Configure the these networking files as necessary for your network:

/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Installing InterWorx: sh <((curl -sL interworx.com/inst.sh)) -l
Tutorial from the old InterWorx raspberry pi website: http://pi.interworx.com

Blog post with more information can be found here: http://www.interworx.com/community/interworx-clustering-on-raspberry-pis/

Few FAQ’s from the old website:

What model Raspberry Pis?
Model B.

Was InterWorx using a CMS?
Yes, they was using WordPress. They wished they could say they’re the first to run WordPress on a Pi, but they know that at least one other that has been running it for a while.

Is InterWorx compatible with Raspberry Pi’s?
It is if you use the special RedSleeve/ARM build we put together, available here. Install it, and then get an InterWorx demo license. Make sure to read the how-to first, though.

And it clusters?
Yes, clustering works like a charm! For more general information on InterWorx clustering, go here: http://www.interworx.com/features/cluster-panel/

Why did they do it?
Pi’s are awesome! It’s amazing what people have done with them, and they wanted to see if they could get InterWorx to run. Guess what — it does!

But seriously…why did they?
Raspberry Pis are based on ARM architecture, and ARM servers hold huge potential for web hosting due to their low power consumption and high performance/watt capabilities. They thought trying InterWorx on a couple Pis would be a fun way to dip their toe in the ARM waters. :slight_smile:

FAQ’s have been edited to be in third person.

I would not have any guarantee, nor expectation, that any of the above will work, being that this is copy/pasted from a reseller’s website, not ours (the only place I was able to find any of the above text was on Licensecart’s website, so I am guessing that is where you got it), includes links to pages that no longer exist, and is very, very old.