Installing Interworx on Raspberry Pi 4

Raspberry Pi 4

Hi everyone, I’ve been trying to get Interworx installed on Raspberry Pi 4 as I’ve seen that this has been possible in the past.

However, upon looking over the documentation, the knowledgebase, Reddit, and these forums; there seems to be very little reference to running it on ARM architecture.

Has support for Pi been dropped / was it ever there to begin with?

I’ve tried cPanel and Plesk, it looks like Interworx was the one that was going to pick up support :frowning:

Hi

Welcome to IW forums

I believe from me memory pi support was stopped a number of years ago

I thought it was only installable in IW 5 or early IW6 version and not on Debian pi release

I hope that helps but you could ask IW support by email or open a support ticket and ask

IW-Jenna or IW-Brandon will most likely post as well

Many thanks

John

Hello @HamsterBird,

Yes, there currently is no support for ARM architecture in InterWorx. We previously did build for ARM, but adoption was very low and the project stalled. We have an open feature request to reintroduce ARM support, but it’s only been requested twice (well, now three times) in the last year and a half. As a Raspberry PI lover myself, it certainly would be interesting to be able to run InterWorx on there, but it doesn’t appear there is much demand for it at the moment.

I’ve bumped the existing feature request and we’ll continue to monitor the demand for ARM support as we move forward.

Thank you,
Brandon

Hi Brandon!

You can add a 4th vote for this option! :wink:

With an affordable licence to create a cluster it could be a pretty interesting and easily scallable option!

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your reply. That is indeed a shame, I hope the people above realise what an opportunity it would be to revive ARM support soon.

@HamsterBird @iworx-brandon @d2d4j
I have a raspberry pi2.

There is a CentOS v7 for the PI, called CentOS Userland armv7hl,
https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/armhfp
I just installed the Gnome version on my PI2 looks good, going to try later today to see if i can install Siteworx v6 on it.

Was able to get the installer running but it broke with:
unknown yum repo remi-php73 and
Failed with not found : https://updates.interworx.com/iworx-stable/RPMS/7/armhfp/repodata/repomd.xml
Seems no longer the armhfp folder is available.

Checked in my browser to see if folder is available but: Not Found
The requested URL https://updates.interworx.com/iworx-stable/RPMS/7/armhfp/repodata/repomd.xml was not found on this server.

Had a nice play… it might be possible to install…if that folder was there???

@iworx-brandon I noticed somewhere mention of pi.interworx.com but that is no longer available as well.

Hi @nico

Try here but it is old and I think wrong armv - it is about the year when it was been introduced (give or take a year anyway)

https://updates.interworx.com/iworx-beta/RPMS/rhe6x/armv5tel/repodata/

Good luck but I do not think IW would support arm

Many thanks

John

Hello @Nico ,

Sorry if my post gave the impression that we recently stopped building for ARM. Building for ARM ceased back in 2013. As CentOS 7 wasn’t released until 2014, no CentOS 7 RPMs have ever been built with ARM support. The repo John included appears to be for a different ARM architecture than what the Raspberry Pi supports and likely wouldn’t work (even if CentOS 6 wasn’t EOL). Even if you could find a way to get it to work, you’d likely be installing an incredibly outdated set of components for InterWorx. And as John alluded to, it would be an entirely unsupported setup.

Looking through our historical information regarding the old ARM builds and Raspberry PIs, I’m not even sure the build ever worked on Raspberry Pi(s). Our internal documentation regarding deploying InterWorx on Raspberry Pis provides information on how to setup the Pi and then in a section labeled “Installing InterWorx” there is a giant warning that just says “THIS METHOD DOES NOT YET WORK.” As such, I find no indication that the previous ARM builds ever actually worked on Raspberry Pis.

All this information together points to the fact that installing a modern version of InterWorx on a modern OS on the ARM platform is likely entirely impossible.

I will absolutely pass on the requests that we get for ARM support up the chain of command, but it’s tough to envision InterWorx’s stance on ARM support changing with only a handful of requests.

Hi @iworx-brandon . @d2d4j
Thanks for both your reply, yes i totally agree it is not something to use for any production servers, but i saw it as something interesting to spent some time with my old Rapsberry PI 2 for it, it was just fun to do. I hope I have not given the impression to use it as such for production :slight_smile: I think ARM is not good enough for any serious production usage, and there are already many other solutions to use the PI and the berryboot website has many options listed. Kind regards,
Nico

Hi

Sorry just having a cold cold beer but just read this

The original pi was used and was no near powerful enough to run interworx properly

I know a few did get it to work and commented the best usage was for a slave dns server but even then it was not good enough for a moderate dns server.

Coupled to that the memory card would cease to work after a fixed point of writes

I think it was a pet project only and used as a selling aide to bring interworx more into the spot light

I could be wrong though as I have had a cold beer but that’s what I remember from 2013 ish

Many thanks

John

@d2d4j

Hi John,
It was just a fun project and i had the PI2 to try, cold beer or warm wine, you better enjoy and relax.
It was good to get the PI2 to do something else… and as said in the PI world there are very good alternatives if you really want to host at home your cms.
Nico