interwork structure

Hey, I just discovered interwork… Looks nice but I can’t find any details on its operation how its setup.

Here’s a list of questions I have,

1. Where are shell users stored, their directories
  2. Where are web users stored, directory locations
  3. Is any of that configurable?
  4. How do you create shell users, the demo doesn’t show you how.
  5. Can you set a limit on how many shell users can be per account
  6. can resellers manage shell users?

And So on… most of my concern is how interwork cooperates between web users & shell users.

All SiteWorx acounts are assigned a system username based upon the first 8 characters of the domainn name. Their home directories are located:

/chroot/home/<username>

also accessable (symlink) via

/home/<username>

SiteWorx users must reside in this location, but you can configure this to a different location for non siteworx system users (i.e. users created with the useradd command),

root’s home directory is /root

1. Is any of that configurable?

see above,

1. How do you create shell users, the demo doesn’t show you how.

You can give siteworx uses shell access (they don’t have it by default) but to add regular shell users you need to log in as root and user the useradd command.

1. Can you set a limit on how many shell users can be per account

Each SiteWorx accoutn has ONE shell user. You can create additional users using the useradd command but you would need to manually give them access to the siteworx user’s home directory (Generally by adding them to the siteworx user’s group)

1. can resellers manage shell users?

No, not in the current release.

And So on… most of my concern is how interwork cooperates between web users & shell users.

I hope this has given you a better idea of how InterWorx works with shell users. If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to ask them

In genral InterWorx was created is such a way as to minimize the need for shell users and thus increase system security. For example SiteWorx ias the Fileman file manager integrated, and a .htaccess manager is in the works.

All SiteWorx acounts are assigned a system username based upon the first 8 characters of the domainn name. Their home directories are located:

/chroot/home/<username>

also accessable (symlink) via

/home/<username>

[SIZE=2]Am I to assume all users are chrooted? Is it possible to have non-chrooted users?[/SIZE]

I hope this has given you a better idea of how InterWorx works with shell users. If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to ask them

In genral InterWorx was created is such a way as to minimize the need for shell users and thus increase system security. For example SiteWorx ias the Fileman file manager integrated, and a .htaccess manager is in the works.

Yes, as are most control panels. But the type of hosting business I’m running, all users need shell access, so I’m on the hunt for teh perfect one to do with that task.

If you want to give you siteworx users shell access you can do this through NodeWorx.

If you want to create “custom” shell account you need to do what Tim said and log into SSH as root and do useradd and give them a shell to use such as /bin/bash.

Iworx was designed to be very flexable with command line server administration as well as using the control panel.

I’ve been using Iworx for over a year and it was the best move I made, you can’t go wrong with them. And their customer support is unmatched by any company I have ever dealt with :smiley:

[SIZE=2]

Yes, you select what shell to give them: the defaut bash (or tcsh or one of the other standard ones) or the chrooted one jk_chrootsh
[/SIZE]

Yes, as are most control panels. But the type of hosting business I’m running, all users need shell access, so I’m on the hunt for teh perfect one to do with that task.

Well let us know if you have any other questions.

Tim