InterWorx Operation Improvement

1. Add Support for

www.subdomain.domain.com
Currently I’ve noticed that there is only support for something.domain.com This is counter productive because a lot of people have the nasty habit of adding www. infront of everything web related. Especially when it comes to website addresses. I ended up with a very very very slow loading site when my previous server was taken offline and the new one was queried for files. I’m quite happy that I didn’t move some of my bigger client servers. I would have been flooded.

1. Remove / Allow disabling of " Subdomain logic "
    This is a only a benefit I believe for the people who choose to go with the Per Child Apache MPM module. If not, then having more virtual hosts is better. It uses Mod_ReWrite. That means a speed hit - even if you put it in the HTTPD conf.

2. Provide notes in HTTPD.CONF for minimal module loading. I would like to see a apache configuration section in control panel. Specifically allowing users to choose the minimal set of apache modules for InterWorx to work and the best performance. While I realise that loading all those modules mean that people don’t have to instlal them themselves. Its wastes memory for a lot of people as they would be loading up modules they don’t need.

I had the opportunity to review my DNS zones the other day (all 78 of them) and they show a www.sub.domain.tld CNAME record at least in the domains that are their own SiteWorx account.

It may not be there by default, but you should be able to add this yourself

Go To the NodeWorx=>DNS screen, click on the RECORDS button for the domain you want to edit and add the following record:

HOST: www.sub.domain.tld 

Type: CNAME

Target: sub.domain.tld

TTL: 43200 (the default)

Every one of my subdomain siteworx accounts has this code and it does work

1. Remove / Allow disabling of " Subdomain logic "
    This is a only a benefit I believe for the people who choose to go with the Per Child Apache MPM module. If not, then having more virtual hosts is better. It uses Mod_ReWrite. That means a speed hit - even if you put it in the HTTPD conf.

2. Provide notes in HTTPD.CONF for minimal module loading. I would like to see a apache configuration section in control panel. Specifically allowing users to choose the minimal set of apache modules for InterWorx to work and the best performance. While I realise that loading all those modules mean that people don’t have to instlal them themselves. Its wastes memory for a lot of people as they would be loading up modules they don’t need.

A web based apache configuration page is on their to do list but it’s down there.

re: 1)

My problem isn’t subdomains being hosted in their own accounts. I have clients who have sudomains on their domainname.com account. I don’t cater to the VERY high end market. So I can’t charge people for each time I / my tech support need to add a DNS entry. Especially as some of the clients have a habit of giving out part of their accounts to friends. I can’t deploy this software to a server for a hosting company. Each time the customer has to come to us to add those DNS entries in. That is a lot of extra work for something that just shouldn’t need to be. It’ll add overheads on our end. We will pass this cost onto our customers. Not only that, it means we have to spend quite a lot of time now adding DNS entry for every one of subdomains - or atleast one of my techs will need to do that. It’ll mean that InterWorx is getting segregated to only the VERY high end market. So high, it’s higher than all the bigger players already in the market. :stuck_out_tongue: This is not a slight at InterWorx/NodeWorx - I’m just pointing out why it’s not suitable for my purpose - volume hosting. At the moment, Interworx is more suited to just managing something like a project website. Which is a shame , as it shows great promise. The intereface is good and clean. And features don’t seem to disappear or show up when they have been expressly disallowed ( as is the case with WHM Reseller panel ).

For my pupose, Cpanel, Directadmin, HSphere, Plesk and Ensim are the choice then. And assorted Free and Commercial Products.

I’ve not mentioned the Reseller Account - as I’ve seen that it’s in the card already.

I was just trying to be helpfull but I see your point :slight_smile:

Anyway if it doesn’t suit your needs now I’d at least suggest you keep your eyes on it. Once a few more core features are added and they can concentrate on adding the little things like (little does NOT mean unimportant) I think it will give cPanel/WHM and Plesk a run for their money.

InterWorx has two things that the others don’t:

1. The software was designed from the ground up with the USER in mind (it started as SiteWorx panel for NexcessNet hosting and expanded)
  2. Users have DIRECT access to the developers and thus development on the project is USER focused as opposed to "I think I’ll do this . … " thinking.

Good night.

Tim

I was just trying to be helpfull but I see your point :slight_smile:

I hope I didn’t come off agressive. ^.^ I know you were being helpful. I wanted to clarify myself, so someone reading this will know what I’m asking for isn’t what you’re tlaking about. Otherwise the developmens themselves might not realise and overlook it.

I mentioned at the beginning , I think it’s better as a project site management software. But for something like hosting company, I could get DirectAdmin MUCH cheaper. And it has everything InterWorx has now + Reseller + Bigger base of users + more support + Pwesonalised Developer contact like in InterWorx + Much cheaper.

What Directadmin REALLY lacks and the reason I didn’t go with them is the Apache 2.0 Platform that works reliabley and effectively - all the time. I’ve gotten far too many customers trying to upgrade to Apache 2.0 and stuffing their boxes up. Despite the oodles of notices that it’s beta. Thankfully John Directadmin has been really good in setting those servers back. I won’t talk about Cpanel’s attempt at Apache 2.0 - it’s so old, it’s a security hazzard. I thought about Ensim - it wasn’t offered. Plesk is the only alternative, but I’m not familiar, and I really didn’t want to have to hire someone to deal with tech issues in that. I’ve used InterWorx shortly for a while, and I wanted to give it a whirl. There are some very important features missing for it to be a effective volume Hosting control panel. I’m just suggesting ways to improve the system.

Not at all :wink:

Having hanuted thesd forums for close to a year now I think I can assure you that the InterWorx team WILL read and respond to your comments. Chris is very good at doing that in these and the Sago forums.

Good Luck with your endeavors.

Tim

NAPPA,

All your comments are fair and I’ll regardin subdomains we are working on makin them “better”. The rewrite solutions works for the bulk of the users (but not all as you’ve pointed out). Regarding #3 I completely agree with you, right now there are a TON of apache modules loaded that may (or may not) actually be used on your server. We will be addressing this and many other configuration type issues in the near future.

Regarding DirectAdmin, we’ve tried to base our pricing competitvely against theirs and our base pricing for non resellers is below their pricing on most points. We do have volume discounts as well that I’m assuming woudl bring us in line with their reseller (or multi-server) licensing arrangements.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chris