Joomla 3.0 - php 5.3.x required

This weekend i tested the new Joomla 3.0 alpha.
Joomla 3.0 will come as a Beta in July and stable in september.
And I’m sorry to say, but the new version of Joomla vill require php 5.3.x. What are the plans of uppgrading the client side PHP to 5.3.x or newer? Current php.net stable is 5.4.3.

MySQL will most probably have to be upgraded as well. I don’t have any specific versions for MySQL, but the current stable version on MySQL website is 5.5.24.

Being able to support Joomla 3.0 is Ciritcal for us, as we are mainly a Joomla host.

It’s not actually supported, but if you can find repositories for both php and mySQL that will work with your version of centos and carry the latest version of each, you can just install them. I’m not sure what kind of problems that will cause, though, and as I said we can’t give you support for any issues that crop up as yet.

Any update on this, as 5.2.17 is way past end of life.

Hi,

So the thing is we don’t really handle the PHP packages. Mostly because InterWorx is not super dependent on the version of PHP that runs on the server. As long as it’s a set of PHP packages built and distributed for the version of RHEL or CentOS you are using, it should integrate just fine with Apache and InterWorx.

My quick recommendation is to grab something like Atomic Turtle and install that. BEFORE running yum update or yum install anything, refer to this article:

FAQ: Which packages should I exclude from 3rd-party repos?

and exclude packages that need to come from the InterWorx repository in the /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo file that corresponds to atomic turtle. Alternatively, you can leave the repository disabled, and do a:

yum --enablerepo=atomic update php

everytime you want to update PHP. This will localize the use of the repository to just when you want to update PHP.