Just A Quick Question About 3.0

Is 3.0 still in development? I remember talk of it way back in July and now I see that 2.2.0 is coming soon? Just wondering if 3.0 will see the light of day.

Where have you read that 2.2.0 is coming soon?

Version 3.0 is apparently currently going through testing. If you have a looked at: http://www.interworx.com/ in the middle of the home page in a yellow box, are some more details :slight_smile:

That has been there for months and it hasn’t changed since I noticed it.

So… when 3.x is out, will the installed CP auto-update?

Normally Yes if you set the auto update of Interworx-cp in nodeworx

Pascal

Is this for certain? I mean, as 3,x is a major update.

Well I can’t speak on behalf of interworx team, but yes I’m pretty sure.

I use interworx from V1 and major updates have always been done with auto-update

See on the interworx default page :

Please note that anything labled NEW in 3.0 is not yet available. Having Auto Update set to ON in NodeWorx is the best way to make sure you get the new features as soon as they are available.

Pascal

I wrote the blerb on the home page. Unless there havs been a change of plans that I am not aware of, 3.0 will be an auto update.

When 3.0 launches the website will also be republished with a lot of new content.

I am just a little curious but can you give us a hint if the update to v3. will come in a few weeks? or are we speaking over a few months?

Weeks. It’s in the final stages of development. The new code is done or almost done and they are testing. (a fact you woulkd know if you read any of the other threads where this subject has beendiscussed :wink: )

There will be a release candidate soon (which would be an optional manual update) followed by a release perhaps a week or two later depending on how the RC period went).

We know you guys are impatient, but believe me everyone here is as anxious to get this thing out the door as you are to begin using it :wink:

[quote=IWorx-Tim;11175]Weeks. It’s in the final stages of development. The new code is done or almost done and they are testing. (a fact you woulkd know if you read any of the other threads where this subject has beendiscussed :wink: )

There will be a release candidate soon (which would be an optional manual update) followed by a release perhaps a week or two later depending on how the RC period went).

We know you guys are impatient, but believe me everyone here is as anxious to get this thing out the door as you are to begin using it ;-)[/quote]

I read all the threads on this forum so yes I have seen it and know you are testing :slight_smile: I just asked it because a few months ago someone of your company said that maybe before christmas the first release could be happen.
I understand that this is a hell of a job for you to come to version 3 and you will only release it when it is stable and that is one good point for me to wait, there are enough controlpanels that are unstable so that is why Interworx is so unique. I can wait a few weeks more even some months :slight_smile:
Keep up the good work !! and for now it looks like it would be a nice birthday present for me :wink:

That was Chris, and he was being a tad optimistic :wink: Obviously it didn’t happen.

We’re not giving out any more guesses, the stock answer of “soon” is gonna have to do :wink:

Or you could join the “when it’s done” club :smiley:

Right now, it’s a race in my mind between you guys and phpBB for “Most Awaited Web Application Update.” Of course, I’ve been waiting four years for phpBB, but InterWorx is a business thing, so…

[QUOTE=IWorx-Tim;11178]That was Chris, and he was being a tad optimistic :wink: Obviously it didn’t happen.

We’re not giving out any more guesses, the stock answer of “soon” is gonna have to do ;-)[/QUOTE]

Yes but…

The reselers should have a better informations about this.

My clients read posts on this forum too, and ask me when 3.0 will bne out for example.

They find I’m not very serious when I say them “Soon” since September :slight_smile:

I have to explain them that I don’t know. And that is not really serious too…*

Interworx should have differents level of communication, I think…

Pascal$

edit:
Personnaly I don’t care to know the release date, even if it helps us to plan some kinds of tasks.
For example in V3 mutli-domain will be out, So I bet a lot of my clients will ask for this. It means for us we have to change our prices and offers… Have juste a little of visibility, might help :slight_smile:

Hehe, I stopped running phpBB years ago… for obvious reasons! :rolleyes::stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=pascal;11196]Yes but…

The reselers should have a better informations about this.

Interworx should have differents level of communication, I think…

[/quote]

We understand that resellers and web hosts may feel caught in the middle of this not knowing exactly when major upgrades are going to happen, but I’m not sure what the solution is. We’ve found that is’s best to be vague on these things untill we are absolutely sure otherwise we end up loosing credibility when we don’t make a release date we promise. We’ve been appologizing since HostingCon in July :wink:

We keep the people in the forums here relatively well informed as to what is coming (even if it’s not when) and I’d advise resellers and web hosts not to share too much of this info with their clients untill it’s done. You can plan a head and have any pricing structure changes you need done and ready to implement and when we put the release candidate out you can assume from past experience that the final version will be out within a few days, usually about a week – unless there are major issues. I think with one of the releases it was two weeks.

A old technique in sales that works perfectly is to under promise and over perform. That way the customer is always excited that you preformed better than promised.

Fully understanding that software projects can be a pain, developers leave causing problems, higher priority’s come up needing the attention of the development team and many other issues that can and do come up in the developemt life of a new product. A longer release date is in order.

Maybe vague promises like Spring 2007 or Early 2008 and far enough out in the future (even if its 2 years out) that even if the worst possible thing happens you will still have time to recover from that “thing” and meet projected soft dates.

For instance if Spring 2007 was the projected date and you guy’s where able to get it out in Winter 2006 you would be heros! And if you guys where getting close to Spring 2007 and looks like more testing or what ever needed to be done, then moving the date back to Fall 2007 would yes be disappointing but all the “are we there yet” questions would be eliminated at least the vast majority anyway.

This is a technique that has served many successful company’s very well over the ages and still works very well today.

So… It’s been seven weeks… Any word? Not that I’m impatient or anything…

* Fr3d thinks you’re gonna get the same answer; “when it’s done” :stuck_out_tongue: