mod_security rules to exclude wordpress

Holah

Today i installed mod_security and opened interworx for some of my users to test ,
So the first query was that wordpress was not functioning correctly and after looking at the logs , it looks like mod_security might be affecting some functions .

Is they a rule that i can use that can exclude lets say for instance , wp-admin ?

It’s not recommended at all in the hosting industry to use Mod_Security now as it’s outdated and not supporting 5.4+, someone has made a new version of it but it’s not recommended to use.

Eish … i had already installed mod_security and mod_evasive as per the Techmint tutorial .

So, does this mean i have to remove it ? although it seems to be working so far

I tested it using loic and it managed to block it within a minute causing a server load of 70%

the rule i found is

<Directory “/var/www/wp-admin”>
<IfModule security2_module>
SecRuleEngine Off
</IfModule>
</Directory>
it seems to work so far …

Hi nuffsaid

That is your decision to make.

To be honest though, I don’t think apache serves from that location, though I could be wrong as it’s a default location in apache, and your loading at 70% is very high.

We use BFD to stop WP admin attacks and there’s no real loading in excess of our normal loading, circa between 1 and 2,but I’m thinking you mean procs %.

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=nuffsaid;27415]Eish … i had already installed mod_security and mod_evasive as per the Techmint tutorial .

So, does this mean i have to remove it ? although it seems to be working so far

I tested it using loic and it managed to block it within a minute causing a server load of 70%

the rule i found is

<Directory “/var/www/wp-admin”>
<IfModule security2_module>
SecRuleEngine Off
</IfModule>
</Directory>
it seems to work so far …[/QUOTE]

As John says it’s up-to you as it’s your server, but I don’t recommend it to my customers because it was a dead project and wasn’t available for 5.4, but they have a new developer coding it now but to trust something which could die off again isn’t worth it :).