Mta settings Nodeworx

Hi

Dns stuff tells me:

WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

domainName.com claims to be invalid hostname ‘InterWorx-CP’:
220 InterWorx-CP SMTP Server ESMTP

Now how do i change the settings under nodeworx to fixx this issue?

Thx

You can change this by editing:

/var/qmail/control/smtpgreeting

and then running:

svc -t /service/smtp

Oh…and you can also change it in NodeWorx on the System Services > Mail Server > MTA Settings page. Top right corner.

When i am trying to change this under Nodeworx i get;

? Invalid blacklist e-mail : .*\
              ? Invalid blacklist e-mail : @.*
              ? Invalid blacklist e-mail : !.*@.*\..*
              ? Invalid blacklist e-mail : .*%.*

What should i type in that box?

Is this a 2.x box? If so, this is a known bug on the MTA settings page and is fixed in 3.0. The instructions Greg gave you for changing the greeting from the command line should still work.

Yes it’s 2.1.3

What should be proper greeting?

According to that warning, it should be a valid hostname that points back to the same server.

did

vi smtpgreeting got empty file?

/var/qmail/control/smtpgreeting should not be empty.

The smtpgreeting should contain the host name (probably whatever you have under “Mail Server Hostname (FQDN):”)

Mine is totaly empty unless " vi " it’s not showing me what file contains:)

Well then you should just type it in manually there. Maybe nodeworx blanked the file when you tried to update it earlier?

[quote=NEXCESS.NET (Greg);13431]You can change this by editing:

/var/qmail/control/smtpgreeting

and then running:

svc -t /service/smtp[/quote]

Hey Greg,

Please let me know what should i type in smtpgreeting file mine is totaly empty.

a valid hostname that points back to the same server

In mine I have:

mail.justechnology.com Qmail

and it passed all the test on the dns website tester thingy.

[quote=Justec;13449]In mine I have:

mail.justechnology.com Qmail

and it passed all the test on the dns website tester thingy.[/quote]
i did exact same thing added A record for mail.mydomainname.com Qmail It’s still screaming at me in DNS thingy:)

There are two things you need to do.

1. Make the DNS A record to point to the IP of the server with mail.domainname.com
  2. Change the hostname to mail.domainname.com Qmail Server or Whatever

Are you still getting the same error as the 1st post of this thread?

i did all above maybe i have to wait or something?

[quote=cape;13430]
domainName.com claims to be invalid hostname ‘InterWorx-CP’:
220 InterWorx-CP SMTP Server ESMTP[/quote]

What is dns stuff telling you this is now after changing your hostname? Does it still say InterWorx-CP or does it say your hostname?

now i get domainname.com claims to be invalid hostname ’ ':
220 ESMTP

[quote=cape;13455]now i get domainname.com claims to be invalid hostname ’ ':
220 ESMTP[/quote]

Hmmm… well when I setup my MTA hostname through nodeworx I received those same errors, so I just removed the lines in the blacklist input fields and it worked then. Not sure if that’s something you want to try, but changing the /var/qmail/control/smtpgreeting file to reflect your hostname and restarting the smtp service should work. That file should not stay blank after it is saved.