MySQL upgrade

Hi, I received my server with MySQL 3.23 installed and now I need to upgrade because there’s an application which requires at least MySQL 4.1, so I was wondering about the safest way to do it and avoid downtime, the server is in operation and I’m specially worried about Interworx not working after the upgrade. Could you give me a hint on this issue?

Thanks

Iworx uses its own PHP/MySQL to run its code (thats how you are able to stop apache throught panel). So if you break MySQL somehow you won’t have a mysql running on your server, but Iworx will still work.

Im sure Chris or someone will be able to give you some more pointers, but you should give some more details on your server, like which linux distro you have installed, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks for your message Justec. I did know Interworx had its own Apache instance, it’s good to know it also has its own MySQL.
Server runs on
Distribution: Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-43.9.legacy
I don’t know what other details…
I’d really apreciate any comment that points me in the right direction to correctly upgrade MySQL, by the way, I don’t need 4.1, 4.0 would suffice.
I’ve been at the MySQL website and it seems upgrading is not a difficult task, however, there could be some issues with Perl and PHP after the upgrade, I just want an experienced person to advice me.

Thanks

Hi JustMe,

Here’s what I would do.

Go here: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.0.html
Find the “Linux x86 RPM downloads” section.

Download the “Server” RPM and “Client programs” RPMS to your server - this’ll be the “MySQL-server-4.0.25-0.i386.rpm” and “MySQL-client-4.0.25-0.i386.rpm” files respectively.

Then run this command:

rpm -Uvh MySQL-server-4.0.25-0.i386.rpm MySQL-client-4.0.25-0.i386.rpm

Follow any instructions it gives you, and if all goes well, you should have an upgraded functional MySQL installation.

Paul

Thanks Paul. That’s what I was planning to do. I just wanted to know if there would be any issue when upgrading. By all means I want to avoid downtime. I’ll give it a try and hope for the best.

# rpm -Uvh MySQL-server-4.0.25-0.i386.rpm MySQL-client-4.0.25-0.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by (installed) php-mysql-4.3.11-100.rht90.iworx
# error: Failed dependencies:
-bash: error:: command not found
#         libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by (installed) php-mysql-4.3.11-100.rht90.iworx
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Any Ideas??? :eek:
I suppose RedHat is complaining because this file is in use by Interworx and cannot be updated. But I’m far far far from knowing what’s exactly going on.

Try installing the “Dynamic client libraries” rpm along with the other two. The MySQL-shared-compat-4.0.25-0.i386.rpm one, from the same place you got the other rpms.

Paul

OK, now I do have a BIG problem
Install had no problems at all but server now will not restart, start or even stop??? neither from command line or Nodeworx.
Please Help!!!
From interworx there’s no response at all though it says service is running.
From shell
ERROR 2002: Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock’ (2)

I’d try this:

killall -9 mysqld

service mysql stop

service mysql start

Then CAREFULLY edit the file /home/interworx/iworx.ini
Find the line
mysqld.sysv="/etc/init.d/mysqld"
and change it to
mysqld.sysv="/etc/init.d/mysql"

If you can’t get it working after doing these things open a support ticket and I’ll check it out.

Paul

Thanks so much Paul.
It’s working now. I followed your instructions by the book.
If I were there I’d buy you a beer. I really apreciate your help. Saved my life. :wink: