Newbie Here: Possible Issues with DJBDNS!

Ok, I am used to using bind, I have always wanted to switch to something more secure and when i started using Interworx (3 days now lol) I found interworx uses alot of the software created by the same guys who did djbdns and qmail so I can see security is great!

My problem is this, I have 2 domains on the system which dont seem to want to resolve locally or even remotely, I have attempted to restart the dns server as stated in a post on these forums and still cant seem to get the domain to resolve. What can I do?

The first thing to do is to query the dns servers directly to see if they are advertising the right info. If they are then the problem lies elsewhere.

Just do:

nslookup
> server <IP of your IWorx-CP iterative DNS server. NOT 127.0.0.1!!>
> domain-to-query.com

The above IP after the ‘server’ directive should be an IP bound to your iworx-cp box that you’re expecting to answer queries and that has a dns service on it as listed in the dns overview page.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the information, here is what I did and the outcome!

[root@srv003 ~]# nslookup
> server 216.86.157.79
Default server: 216.86.157.79
Address: 216.86.157.79#53
> bionetstudios.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>

Can you verify for me that the 216.86.157.79 IP is listed in the DNS overview as “running” with itertive dns services. You may wan to open as well and provide your login info and we can check it out if.

Chris

Chris,

I appreciate the help, at this current time all of our IP addresses are listed as “Running” under the DNS area for iterative.

I will send you a PM with the login details to the system so that you can verify.

darkstar,

It looks like the iworx cron jobs just weren’t running. I fixed that problem (which fixed the graphs as well btw) and the dns records were exported.

[root@veteatr /var/log]# nslookup
Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
&gt; server  216.86.157.79
Default server: 216.86.157.79
Address: 216.86.157.79#53
&gt; hackno.org
Server:         216.86.157.79
Address:        216.86.157.79#53

Name:   hackno.org
Address: 216.86.157.81
&gt; BIONETSTUDIOS.COM     

Name:   BIONETSTUDIOS.COM
Address: 216.86.157.79
&gt; bionetstudios.com

Name:   bionetstudios.com
Address: 216.86.157.79
&gt; 

Chris

Chris,

You are awesome, I appreciate the quick help. We were convinced by our datacenter (ubiquity) to try out interworx and get away from cPanel, I am certainly surprised at the level of support you have given for such a new person to this control panel, definantely number one in my book.

If you dont mind, how did you fix the issue exactly, you stated cronjobs were not running which caused 2 errors (one i failed to mention didnt think it was a big deal). I ask that way if in the future this happens again I will have some knowledge of how to go about fixing it myself without having to bother you guys :slight_smile:

You are awesome, I appreciate the quick help. We were convinced by our datacenter (ubiquity) to try out interworx and get away from cPanel, I am certainly surprised at the level of support you have given for such a new person to this control panel, definantely number one in my book.

Thanks :), and the Ubiquity guys are good guys, you’re in good hands there.

If you dont mind, how did you fix the issue exactly, you stated cronjobs were not running which caused 2 errors (one i failed to mention didnt think it was a big deal). I ask that way if in the future this happens again I will have some knowledge of how to go about fixing it myself without having to bother you guys

I just edited the iworx user’s cronjobs, made a spacing change to trick cron, and then saved.

crontab -e -u iworx

We’ve seen this on a few boxes. Cron just needs a jolt to get going sometimes.

Chris

Chris,

Yep, we have been with Ubiquity for i wanna say about 6 months now, they have definantely been great to us had some issues with one of the centers they were in and when they picked up their new equinix center they moved our system with no questions which convinced me to stay with them, we now have 3 systems and 1 colocated system with them.

Anyhow, thank you I will keep this post handy incase I run into this error again!

Regards,

Chris Childers
DarkStar Communications