Next Release

Anyone know when the next release is coming and what is planned for it?

rldev,

The best answer I can give for time is “soon”. We’ve been BETA testing it for 2 weeks now and things are looking very good :).

As for features I’ll give you a short overview here:

• Built-in Firewall based on APF
  • New “mass transfer” feature for doing bulk-imports from cPanel
  • NFS mount/export interface for managing NFS shares/mounts
  • Better VPS handling of some interface elements
  • New re-worked ScriptWorx back-end (some new scripts and more to come)

I’d also like to announce that InterWorx-CP will be THE FIRST control panel to support LOAD BALANCED CLUSTERS native in the control panel. This will debut in 2.1.0 as well :slight_smile:

There’s more but some bits I’m sure have slipped my mind. There’s of course the obligatory “many bugfixes” as well attached to this release.

Chris

Hello Chris ! I’m pleased to see you are still very active on IWorx development.

• I still don't understand the "Load Balanced Clusters" expression. Does it mean that with several PCs running in the same LAN with IWorx CP on each, we will be able to balance the load through any of the PCs we want ?
  • Will the load balancing work also with only one of those PCs serving clients through the Internet (because of NAT : with one public IP address, only one PC have web, ftp, smtp etc... ports opened to handle requests from the Internet) ?

In a word, yes. You will be able to “cluster” multiple iworx-cp servers together (given some pre-conditions) to look like a single larger virtual server. IWorx-CP will load balance the servers and handle all the other clustering backend features.

• Will the load balancing work also with only one of those PCs serving clients through the Internet (because of NAT : with one public IP address, only one PC have web, ftp, smtp etc... ports opened to handle requests from the Internet) ?

yes, it will work behind NAT with a single outside IP.

Chris

Wow, impressive !

APF is a great addition, but how will that work with those of us that have manually installed this? Will is use the same config files and just basically update it or will we need to uninstall manually?

The interface gives you control over the following 3 files: conf.apf, allow_hosts.rules, and deny_hosts.rules. Not every directive in conf.apf is available in the interface, but NodeWorx won’t clobber/overwrite any changes you made by hand either. Similarly, while the interface doesn’t currently allow you to manipulate the vnet/ folder, you can still have it setup/enabled and NodeWorx won’t interfere.

Any chance of a feature to change a customer domain? Unless I am missing were todo this!

“LOAD BALANCED CLUSTERS”

I take it this will only work over a single network?

For the next release, it will on work on boxes within the same network segment. For later releases, we will have a WAN solution as well.

Chris

Wow that is very impressive. I suggest for ScriptWorx you folks take a good look at Installatron for Cpanel and DA. It is the best script installer out there.

Now if I can only get you folks to include Mailman or something better. This is a real sore spot with me. I think I am poised for a change. Thanks for the quick reply.

Actually, Paul did write a script to install mailman about a year and a half ago.

http://interworx.info/forums/showthread.php?t=58&highlight=mailman

http://interworx.info/forums/showthread.php?t=225&highlight=mailman

I have it running on my box. There is no web interface for ye yet, though.

Any chance of a feature to change a customer domain? Unless I am missing were todo this!

:slight_smile: anyone?

That would be extremely difficlult and confusing given how InterWorx works.

When you create an account the system creates a system user for the new account baised upon the first 8 alphanumeric characters of the domain that they select:

DOMAIN: mydomain.com
SYSTEM USER: mydomain
HOME DIRECTORY: /home/mydomain
WEB ROOT /home/mydomain/mydomain.com/html

If you change the domain, this system would no longer be valid. To tart with things would probably still work okay, but eventually it would just get confusing.

That being said, you are not the only one who has asked for this feature and to my knowlege it is not on the to do list.

Eventually there will be a workaround –

A future release of InterWorx will allow more than one domain per account and you could then add a new domain, but I am not sure if you could then delete the master domain or not. You might just have to leave it there and ignore it.

DOMAIN: mydomain.com
SYSTEM USER: mydomain
HOME DIRECTORY: /home/mydomain
MASTER WEB ROOT /home/mydomain/mydomain.com/html
SLAVE ROOT WEB: /home/mydomain/otherdomain.com/html

THERE IS NO ETA ON MILTI DOMAINS PER ACCOUNT

A pointer domain (a feature which IS currently supported) would be another work around

otherdomain.com => mydomain.com

I hope this answers your question.

xlogic, the short answer is no. I’d just recommend a delete and re-add as a solution. Too much stuff relies on the domain name being what it is to make it easily changable.

Chris

ok… Thanks

About the load balanced clusters : will it be also a High Availability cluster ? I mean that if one server gets unavailable, will it be transparent for the visitors ? Will we be able to add/remove servers from the server transparently for the visitors ?

About the load balanced clusters : will it be also a High Availability cluster ? I mean that if one server gets unavailable, will it be transparent for the visitors ? Will we be able to add/remove servers from the server transparently for the visitors ?

There’s a few questions here:

1. Will it be an HA solution?

A. No, not in the 2.1.0 version, but YES in a future version.

1. Will we be able to add/remove servers transparently?

A. YES, as of 2.1.0

Chris

Need any testers for 2.1.0? I am in bad need of those updates to dns-export you made about a month ago. :slight_smile:

Need any testers for 2.1.0? I am in bad need of those updates to dns-export you made about a month ago.

Actually we’re so close to release that the BETA period is over. Btw, didn’t I give you a working dns-export or did that never pan out?

Chris