proftpd

Im probably just slow…

But i still cant get shell users to work in proftpd.

Im not sure if its not working (the config) or my login metod.

I have tried for login names:
username
username @ ipaddress
username @ website

To both IP addresses, and domain names.

Im pretty sure the error exists somewhere between the chair and the keyboard.

Thanks Tim. :slight_smile:

edixon: Did you upgrade Interworx to 1.8?

Try this:

username: ftp@domain.com (you need to add the @domain.com here, not just ftp)
server: domain.com or < ipaddress >

email is the same name, the domain name is part of the username.

Lhadatt - im on 1.8

timryberg - This isnt the regular ftp logins, its the sytems user logins.
(I did the proftpd.conf mod)

Does it matter? you still have multipe domains onthe same IP the reason for adding the domain in the first place.

Uhm, what?

The main reason for enabling shell users (at least for me) is the ability to upload via FTP to places on the server other than /home/<websitedir>. Yes, it can be done with SCP/SFTP, but some users just don’t like using the secure clients (and for good reason – most of the Windows SFTP clients suck, and nothing beats FlashFXP :smiley: ).

edixon: My amature-level guess is you might want to see if you can reinstall proftpd, via yum, reinstalling the rpm or compiling from scratch. You may want to find a friend who knows Linux to check things out if you’re not familiar with doing this. I highly advise that you do not do this if you are not reasonably sure of what you are doing with Linux. I doubt Interworx or your provider would help you try to get FTP back online without some sort of charge for extra services if you break something.

proftpd seems to be kind of squirrely in dealing with how it’s been configured for Interworx – some people seem to get it to work right away, others don’t. For me, it worked with the “AuthOrder mod_sql.c mod_auth_unix.c” directive on the first try after upgrading to 1.8.

Is this direccted at me?

Let me clairify if it is, in case it is. The reason you have to add the @yourdomain.com to your ftp users wither it’s the default “ftp” or “tryberg” which I sometimes use is because the ftp daemon is listening to the IP’s on your box and those IP’s all have multiple domains on them. It helps them distinuish the FTP user on mydomain.com from the ftp user on myotherdomain.com.

You also have to do this with email (eg webmaster@yourdomain.com is different from webmaster@yourotherdomain.com). I know it’s anoying but that’s how it is.

InterWorx users are not regular system users [in a sense] and this a login for ftp does not work on ssh or email. Am I making any sense here? Maybe Chris or Paul can explain it better.

He’s talking about allowing normal unix users to login via FTP the same way Interworx users can – which is why the thread was made. :stuck_out_tongue:

For instance, I have a normal unix user account called “josh” and a user for my niftytech.net Interworx account named “ftp@niftytech.net”. Both users can login via FTP using the setup one of the Interworx employees gave us earlier in this thread. That is what he’s having trouble trying to get to work.

Why would we want to do this? Well, logging in as ftp@niftytech.net only gives me access to /home/niftytechnet/. The goal is getting a FTP account that has access to more of the system than that. (Yes, using SFTP is better, but people have their preferences.)

It’s not just a prefference. It’s a potential security problem.