Quick Query

I have the following servers:
5 Dell PE 2550s
1 Dell PV 725 (NAS)

I’m very interested in running your clustered environment. So far I have purchased two leased licenses from you. However I have some queries that I can’t seem to find the answers to that will assist me in understanding whether I should purchase more licenses now or later.

1) Do all of the clustered boxes need an external routable IP address or just the master/center node?

2) How is DNS handled? Do I setup DNS to run on all the boxes (thus needing them to have routeable IPs) or do I configure the usual Bind Master and Slave combo?

3) When is the next release that will allow sub-domains?

4) How is e-mail handled? Dedicated SMTP server and POP/IMAP server(s) or does this just become a part of the clustered goodies?

5) How is AWBS configured with the cluster or is it compatible with the cluster? Will I need a copy of AWBS on every server or just one master server, or on the master node itself?

Thank you for your time!

P.S. Is there an alternate mirror address I can set? The main one seems to be terribly busy.

1. Do all of the clustered boxes need an external routable IP address or just the master/center node?

Each node responds directly to the client/user so each node will need to be able to talk to the outside world. Each node also needs to be on the same physical segment as the master for the LVS-DR to work.

1. How is DNS handled? Do I setup DNS to run on all the boxes (thus needing them to have routeable IPs) or do I configure the usual Bind Master and Slave combo?

DNS will run on all the boxes by default. Each cluster node and the manager itself will serve the same DNS info so you can use any externally visible IP as the dns server for the entire cluster.

1. When is the next release that will allow sub-domains?

There is no date set yet for the next release but we’ll have a patch for subdomains in the next few days / week.

1. How is e-mail handled? Dedicated SMTP server and POP/IMAP server(s) or does this just become a part of the clustered goodies?

Any box in the cluster, including the manager, can act as a SMTP/POP3/IMAP server so it’s really at your discretion as to how you’d like to set this up for your clients to use. You can also load balance pop3/imap/smtp as well if you choose.

1. How is AWBS configured with the cluster or is it compatible with the cluster? Will I need a copy of AWBS on every server or just one master server, or on the master node itself?

You point AWBS to the CM and all nodes will get cascaded changes as sites are added.

P.S. Is there an alternate mirror address I can set? The main one seems to be terribly busy.

What mirror are you referring to?

Chris