Re-Assign IP Addresses

I’d like to re-assign IP addresses to every web site on my server to maximize the number of dedicated sites I can host as well as improve search engine optimization.

What’s the easiest way to go about doing this?

I know you have to edit the domainname.tld.conf files for each domain. Not sure if you have to do that for the proftod.conf and the conf file for qMail. Chris? Paul? Socheat? Greg? Bojan? (did I miss anybody here?)

I know it’s something that they eventually want to give NodeWorx the ability to change, but thus far that’s just a pipe dream :slight_smile:

That’s right Tim, you need to do to two things. First, edit the /etc/httpd/conf.d/domain.tld.conf and change the IP address in the <VirtualHost…> section (remember to restart the web server Apache)

Second, in the NodeWorx DNS system, edit the DNS records for the domain in question, and change any references to the old IP to the new IP address.

That should do it.

Paul

Thanks for the quick response Paul :slight_smile:

will reload work as well? A lot of people don’t like to restart unless they have to,

Second, in the NodeWorx DNS system, edit the DNS records for the domain in question, and change any references to the old IP to the new IP address.

kewl, that’s easy.

Tim

Well… That’s what I did but now on some ISPs some web sites aren’t matching up properly.

For example Web Site A and IP Address A are right but Web Site B is sending users to Web Site C because of the changes. It’s conflicting DNS issue at the ISPs themselves it appears but it sucks very badly because a few customers are like, “Where did my site go and why am I seeing this?”

how long did you wait for it to propogate? DNS changes can take up to a week to completely propogate across the webb. Just because your ISP;s dns server has updated doesn’t mean all of them have.

Tim

It’s weird because only a handful of ISPs are having the issue.

I also figured since all of the changes were being done locally that the transition would be instantaneous. Guess I was wrong.

The problem is that in the Internet there is no “master” DNS database. It’s a large network of computers that link to eachother and update at different intervals. This does not happen over night. A DNS Time To Live (TTL) tells repote computers how often to check back for updates. The default TTL is the equivelant of 6 days. Depending on when you make the changes for some computers it can be 5 1/2 days since it last checked for an update or it ccould have checked an hour ago. This delays the upcate process.

You can, of course, edit the time to live entry for a DNS entry but that won’t help you for an update you’ve already made, just for ones you nake after that.

Be patient, it will sort things out. Most of the updates will be done in two to three days.

Tim