Realtime (SBL) Blacklists ?

So yours false negative with commercial software (what?) is less than 1%
and spamassassin’s false negaive is about 67%.

For me, SA’s false negative is about 30% (I don’t receive a lot of spam though)

ps: I think, by 90% pascal meant 10% fasle negative. (the lower 10% might be due to the RBLs used?)

I’m utilizing spamassasin, these RBLs:

sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
list.dsbl.org
multihop.dsbl.org
dnsbl.sorbs.net
spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net
multi.surbl.org
multi.uribl.com

and MailFoundry and am still seeing 10 - 20 spams a day break through. However, with the addition of MailFoundry I have seen a decrease in the amount of system resources used (overall) while there has been in increase in the amount of data the server is shelling out.

It’s very disconcerting that spam is a key in the need for bigger and badder hardware. It’s also troubling that off-site (or off-server) solutions are really the only solution to this problem. Isn’t there a better way? Can’t something be done at the network level at one’s datacenter?

It depends on how much you’re willing to do. At my primary job, we have some settings on Sidewinder firewalls that prevent a great deal of spam from getting through (something on the order of 600,000 per day), but there are still a few thousand messages that must be filtered by other means. Sidewinders, though, are extremely expensive (though exceptionally well-built) systems.

Edit: Something I’ve wondered about the more restrictive lists (such as Spamhaus’s Zen, which includes the Policy Block List) is whether that affects users trying to send e-mail through their domains on my server.

[quote=oaf357;11244]I’m utilizing spamassasin, these RBLs:

sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
list.dsbl.org
multihop.dsbl.org
dnsbl.sorbs.net
spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net
multi.surbl.org
multi.uribl.com

and MailFoundry and am still seeing 10 - 20 spams a day break through. However, with the addition of MailFoundry I have seen a decrease in the amount of system resources used (overall) while there has been in increase in the amount of data the server is shelling out.

It’s very disconcerting that spam is a key in the need for bigger and badder hardware. It’s also troubling that off-site (or off-server) solutions are really the only solution to this problem. Isn’t there a better way? Can’t something be done at the network level at one’s datacenter?[/quote]

For perfect filter do this:

Check the IP form where coming thta mails you can filter, then go to http://www.robtex.com/rbls/ enter the ip, and use one of taht rbls can block that mails.

Using this way, you can finally filter all incoming spam.

regards.