Repositories and IWorx

[LEFT]Ok, so, I’ve got everything up and going and iworx is -great-. I love it. Its doing everything I need and letting me do everything I want. I have one last question though:

If I enable the repositories from CentOS that I need (more up to date, specifically for Rails, as well as expanded lists with more software avialable, and faster-updated apache/mysql releases that arent tied to iworx), will this break anything?

I just dont want to change something that could potentially cause an issue.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Also, real quick, I couldnt find it anywhere… is there a potential release date for 3.0? I’m pretty excited :stuck_out_tongue:
[/LEFT]

I assume you are refering to the CentOS Plus repositories and if so it should not be a problem.

If you are refering to something else we really can’t say absolutely for sure unless we saw the list of RPM packages it had but again it should not be a problem. Others have installed Rails and updated their PHP and MySQL, neither of which will harm InterWorx which runs it’s own instances of these.

If you see anything in those repositories that ou are nervous about you can exclude them in your yum.conf file by adding them to the exclude= line. You can also just ask one of us about specific packages. The only thing I can think of that you don’t want to touch (at least with a stock RPM) is httpd. Ours is ‘almost’ stock but with some minor changes. If you absolutely need to update this contact us for assistance, however it would be unsupported.

As for 3.0, well let’s just say that’s a sore subject right now :wink: but I don’t think it won’t be much longer.

[quote=IWorx-Tim;11616]I assume you are refering to the CentOS Plus repositories and if so it should not be a problem.

If you are refering to something else we really can’t say absolutely for sure unless we saw the list of RPM packages it had but again it should not be a problem. Others have installed Rails and updated their PHP and MySQL, neither of which will harm InterWorx which runs it’s own instances of these.

If you see anything in those repositories that ou are nervous about you can exclude them in your yum.conf file by adding them to the exclude= line. You can also just ask one of us about specific packages. The only thing I can think of that you don’t want to touch (at least with a stock RPM) is httpd. Ours is ‘almost’ stock but with some minor changes. If you absolutely need to update this contact us for assistance, however it would be unsupported.

As for 3.0, well let’s just say that’s a sore subject right now :wink: but I don’t think it won’t be much longer.[/quote]

LoL, not a problem about 3.0

And I was going to add httpd and php4 to the exclude list.

So long as those go unmodified the plus repositories are no big issue then?

As far as I am aware yes. :slight_smile:

but I think you meant “I think it won’t be much longer” :wink:

Thanks guys!

haha guess it’s past my bedtime :wink:

Just an update…

I enabled the centos-test repo and installed ruby 1.8.5 as well as all the extensions and junk that i needed, and compiled the mod_ruby extension for apache - nothings broken and everything is playing nicely with eachother, and my buddy’s ruby script works properly - so everything is good to go!

FYI, other package upgrades to watch out for are clamav andn simscan.

I considered that, but I dug a little deeper and made note that when you use the includepkgs/exclude options, it -only- includes the packages that you have specified. In this case, I included only ruby*, as I only needed ruby from it at this time.

I may add some of the services that i intend to run on the side of iworx in at a later date… but at the moment ruby* is it.

This is nice because it does a great job of locking down what I install that is experimental, and it allows me to do a pretty limited disclaimer as to the support I’ll give to ruby attempts and usage.

As of right now however, Ruby is up and running (and working damn fast) on my new server thanks to mod_ruby… sigh, to think I almost threw it away because of apache 1.3 on my old server :stuck_out_tongue:

may be reason for me to learn ruby now… doubt it, as I hate java with all my heart… but it may peak my interest if I find it is faster in some situations :wink:

Cool, good to hear. :slight_smile: