Setting up DNS Syncronization

Hi John,

I have set the correct IP there, only xx.xx.xx.91 is running DNS service, xx.xx.xx.78 is shown as IP without DNS service.
But “Synchronized DNS Servers” on the other synced machine shows xx.xx.xx.78 as the publisher’s IP.

So I didn’t remember right about the sync being set up two ways. Memory loss is slowly but surely increasing… :wink:

And about the listener error I am looking forward to what you find. I hope your memory is better than mine, hehe.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael
Sorry, here’s the post re api dns dns sync failure
Many thanks
John
http://forums.interworx.com/threads/8089-DNS-Sync-API-Issue?highlight=dns+sync

Hi Michael

HaHa my memory is fading fast :frowning:

Many thanks

John

Hi John, tried using the API key without the stuff around it, but that didn’t help either. Adding the listener works fine, but it reports as Last sync - Unknown" and “Last status - None”. And the publisher is created on the other end but uses the wrong IP :frowning:

Hi Michael

If you don’t mind, just for a test, can you add the IP address the listener is using into the dns list.

Does this then sync correctly

If it does, there’s 2 things which come to mind, firstly, either leave the IP address in dns services, which should not matter but may provide a sync as it’s not externally used for NS or open a support tick with IW so they can see.

Also, is the IP address the primary ip or addon ie ifeth-0 or 0:0

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

I did that, i.e. I added the IP to the active DNS services on both servers, but the same error occurs. The IPs are actually addon IPs, I mean the ones I am using for DNS and the ones not used for DNS are the primary IPs.
I guess I’ll have to open a ticket and see if the iworx guys can help.

Thanks

Michael

Hi John, all,

your hunch was right and iworx support (Thanks Robert and Paul!) was able to pin it down even further: Using the PRIMARY IP (instead of domain) for both sync directions did the trick. I guess it is some minor bug that lets one Nodeworx setup a listener on the addon IP but the corresponding publisher on the primary.
It seems to work that way anyways, the sync is in fact working, but it’s failing to report the sync on one half of the sync in some cases - even though we are running the DNS service only on the addon IP.

So bottom line: Only use primary IP instead of domain name or addon IP for DNS syncs in both directions and these problems don’t occur. My guess is, if we hadn’t started to move services to the addon IP, it wouldn’t have happened anyway.

Cheers,

Michael