Should I buy mysql licence?

I’ll follow this up with the example of Facebook. Facebook runs custom code (their Facebook framework) and they don’t have to buy a license because they don’t pass out their Facebook code embedded with the MySQL server or MySQL client. But wait… when you download the Android App it is talking to Facebook, which is closed source. True but the app isn’t installing a MySQL connector on say a Samsung Galaxy S4. The Facebook app (closed source) talks to a Facebook server (well really many) which in turns talks to MySQL. So in the end its Facebook’s own equipment talking to MySQL and not an user’s Samsung Galaxy S4. Go Nexus! (Sorry my choice of smartphones got the best of me! :wink:

I failed to mention an important point earlier that isn’t related to licensing.

Let’s say this application is successful enough that you have 1,000 people using it. You could have a big problem on your hands with connections. The original way you have mentioned your application is designed is each individual client computer has to make a connection to the your database server (hence the MySQL connector issue). MySQL or not that isn’t a good idea.

Not only do you risk flooding your database server (MySQL, Postgre, Oracle, MSSQL) you now have to allow remote connections from unknown IPs (your client’s computers). From a security standpoint that is not a good idea. From a performance stand point that is not a good idea. Plus keep in mind IW does not scale MySQL. It clusters Apache but not your database calls. Now imagine 5,000 or 10,000 client connections. Yikes!

All this makes for solid reasons you should be passing off SQL statements to your own server(s) and then passing back the data to your clients.

You could run multiple IW’s and thus multiple MySQL servers so that each block of say 500 clients connects to a different server but that isn’t as optimize as it could be. Plus you still have security risks.

Also keep in mind no database can accept unlimited tables or unlimited databases. At first it won’t be an issue but often it is easier to roadmap a plan for growth even if it changes over time rather than end up with a nightmare setup.

Hi Friend,

I am from India, i have a computer class, where i teach MySQL at very elementary level, so do i need to Buy any such licence for Teaching MySQL.

Regards,

Pranav

Hi pranav

Welcome to interworx forums.

It’s really upto each person to decide, but I would think you would need to look at education licence sections to answer your question, as long as you do not use education licence in a commercial environment, or for commercial products, in which case, you would need to review commercial licence.

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John