Siteworx accounts not using assigned domain name

I am just setting up a new interworx box, and have installed and been running one site successfully.

After creating the 2nd siteworx account, it has become apparent that the domain names are not being routed properly. I came to this conclusion because the domain names I set up while creating the new account point to the original account web root.

Can someone point me in the right direction for where to start troubleshooting? The logs show no errors.

I set up the DNS using ns3.mydomain and ns4.mydomain.com, but when I started troubleshooting they were set to a hosting company default setting.

I even tried disabling the first siteworx account, but I guess that does not affect DNS because my 2nd siteworx account domains just show the same error message “this site has been disabled”

This server is not in production yet, so I have some flexibility.

I am running 3.03 on Centos 5. What settings should I check? What logs can help? What services might not be configured correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

It’s hard to say for sure because I’m not sure what you mean by routed wrong. Are they going to your server but not to the right files or is it not even getting there? This was supposed to be a second domain in the same siteworx account?

It sounds like you made a pointer domain instead of a secondary domain:

Pointer Domain: points to the same physical web space
Secondary Domain: get’s it’s own html directory, email, and logs

Is that possible?

Thanks for helping clarify. I have two siteworx accounts, both with primary domain names configured but not currently in use. The sites are in development, so we always create the account with the eventual domain name, and then immediately set up pointers to allow us to use development domains.

So, we have 2 different pointer domains in two different siteworx accounts that are both properly resolving to the box, but they are both being handled by the first siteworx account that we created. In otherwords, going to both domains names should point to different doc roots, but they are both pointing to the same.

It feels like an apache config error (virhost). But the conf.d folder has all of the right files in it and they look ok to an untrained eye. The ServerAliases for the pointers are in place in those conf files.

[quote=thetoolman;14792]Thanks for helping clarify. I have two siteworx accounts, both with primary domain names configured but not currently in use. The sites are in development, so we always create the account with the eventual domain name, and then immediately set up pointers to allow us to use development domains.

So, we have 2 different pointer domains in two different siteworx accounts that are both properly resolving to the box, but they are both being handled by the first siteworx account that we created. In otherwords, going to both domains names should point to different doc roots, but they are both pointing to the same.

It feels like an apache config error (virhost). But the conf.d folder has all of the right files in it and they look ok to an untrained eye. The ServerAliases for the pointers are in place in those conf files.[/quote]

Are either of the siteworx accounts disabled?

I experienced the same result whether or not either one of the accounts was disabled. I tried it several ways.

Without looking at the server, I’d guess that the sites are on different IP addresses and that the DNS for the pointer domains for the different accounts are pointing to the same IP address (for the account that is showing up). If that’s not the case feel free to open a support ticket and we’ll investigate and figure out exactly what is happening.

Paul

Very, very good guess. That was exactly it. I had neglected to set my first IP to shared, and therefore the 2nd site picked up the 2nd IP address. Since my domains were all pointed to the first (external DNS) they were using the default site at that address.

Changing the IP to shared, and assigning both sites the same IP address fixed it.

Thanks a lot for the help.