Squirrelmail Poll

Squirrelmail will be included in the upcoming 1.8.1 release and since I’m not an avid squirrelmail user I’d like to ask that those who are vote on which plugins are installed by default with iworx-cp’s squirrelmail.

Post away :).

Chris

Quicksave (so you don’t lose emails if you accidentally go away from the compose window)
TWC Weather (or any other quality weather plugin)

You might also want to mess with a disk quota plugin (if you can make it work with the interworx email quota that would be awesome)

The “message flags and icons” plugin (http://squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=91) is extremely useful as well, but requires some small patches in addition to the plugin itself.

And of course whenever the spamassassin integrated release of iworx comes out, you’ll want the spamassassin plugin. :slight_smile:

Quicksave (so you don’t lose emails if you accidentally go away from the compose window)

done.

TWC Weather (or any other quality weather plugin)

done.

You might also want to mess with a disk quota plugin (if you can make it work with the interworx email quota that would be awesome)

Quotas are actually handled on the mailbox level so the SiteWorx mail quotas will apply to squirrelmail (and any mail client for that matter).

The “message flags and icons” plugin (Message Flags & Icons Plugin - SquirrelMail - Webmail for Nuts) is extremely useful as well, but requires some small patches in addition to the plugin itself.

done.

Thanks Paul.

Chris

It’s nice to see that we’re seeing some variety in installed applications (even though I prefer Horde myself), but I have 1 question and 1 concern:

1. With 2 webmail clients, are we going to have the option of setting one as the “default” client at either the NodeWorx level, or the SiteWorx level? Or will the default remain Horde with SM being an option?

2. I hope this is not going to be like cPanel in that you go to domain.com/webmail and login only to have to choose a webmail client and login again. That’s my biggest issue with cPanel (aside from it’s bugginess). When I go to domain.com/webmail I want to log straight into the webmail client and read my mail. I hate the extra steps of logging in and choosing a client before I can login (again!) and read my email.

So those of use with SquirrelMail already installed are going to get a hosed up installation I’m assuming.

Also, if you’re dumping Horde is there going to be a routine to uninstall it?

Some of these might be repeats but here’s the plugins I have active right now.

delete_move_next
squirrelspell
calendar
spamcop
message_details
filters
info
todo
notes
address_add
abook_import_export
compatibility
show_ssl_link
newmail
smallcal
autocomplete
dictionary
pupdate
html_mail
twc_weather

I’d also like to see gzip installed as well.

The most important for me is to give the ability to my customers to choose which webmail they want to use.

Neither mind, if it’s horde or squirrelmail. This tools is forcely a customer oriented tool.

So if the customers, may choose their favorites webmail with siteworx, and if they easly can do that, no pbm for me.

Personnaly I prefere horde and don’t know a lot about squirrelmail, so I let you choose which modules to install.

But, what about qmailadmin, for the nodeworx user ?

Pascal

I’ll try and answer everyone in 1 post:

1. With 2 webmail clients, are we going to have the option of setting one as the “default” client at either the NodeWorx level, or the SiteWorx level? Or will the default remain Horde with SM being an option?

The initial release will have you, the server owner choose 1, and this choosing will be done on the iworx httpd.conf level (for now). This is a stop-gap to get squirrelmail “live” for those who have been waiting for it.

1. I hope this is not going to be like cPanel in that you go to domain.com/webmail and login only to have to choose a webmail client and login again. That’s my biggest issue with cPanel (aside from it’s bugginess). When I go to domain.com/webmail I want to log straight into the webmail client and read my mail. I hate the extra steps of logging in and choosing a client before I can login (again!) and read my email.

There will be no client choosing, the server owner will choose for all users (for now) and if you’d like to offer both then you can setup 2 URLs (again, for now). I hate that about cpanel too :).

So those of use with SquirrelMail already installed are going to get a hosed up installation I’m assuming.

I’m not sure what you mean by “hosed” but we aren’t seeking out and destroying your current mail installation. squirrelmail will be installed under iworx-cp’s space.

Also, if you’re dumping Horde is there going to be a routine to uninstall it?

We’re not “dumping” horde at all, simply offering another webmail client.

delete_move_next
squirrelspell
calendar
spamcop
message_details
filters
info
todo
notes
address_add
abook_import_export
compatibility
show_ssl_link
newmail
smallcal
autocomplete
dictionary
pupdate
html_mail
twc_weather

Our list looks about the same, if we miss any you like oaf you can always add them.

I’d also like to see gzip installed as well.

I’ll see what I can do.

Chris

What I mean by hosed is will installing iworx-squirrelmail render my current install of squirrelmail useless?

The upgrade to 1.8.0 left a bad taste in my mouth and I’ve gone through the process of customizing my current install of squirrelmail to suit my customer’s needs. I just want a warm, fuzzy about not having any problems when upgrading to iworx 1.8.1.

I’ve asked this before but I’ll ask it again. How can I uninstall Horde?

What I mean by hosed is will installing iworx-squirrelmail render my current install of squirrelmail useless?

The short answer is ‘no’. The longer answer is “as long as you didn’t install it in /home/interworx or on port 2443 or 2080”.

I’ve asked this before but I’ll ask it again. How can I uninstall Horde?

you can’t, it’s released with all iworx releases and uninstalling it is really unnecessary. You can edit the /etc/httpd/conf.d/iworx.conf file to make the <domain.com>/webmail point to your customized mail reader and you can even go as far as to edit the templates to point the ‘webmail’ link there as well.

Chris

Well, that’s certainly a good thing. I would like to give SiteWorx account owners the ability to set up the /webmail redirect to go to their preferred client. I suppose that’s what you’re probably aiming for once SM is out there and running. I just don’t want to see a cPanel situation with regard to webmail.

Also, and slightly OT, where are the files for the webmail clients installed? I’d like to go in and do some branding (not to mention make Horde look better than it does now :wink: ), but I’m not sure where to start looking other than under /home/interworx.

Well, that’s certainly a good thing. I would like to give SiteWorx account owners the ability to set up the /webmail redirect to go to their preferred client. I suppose that’s what you’re probably aiming for once SM is out there and running. I just don’t want to see a cPanel situation with regard to webmail.

For this iniital release you’ll have to do some config file editing to use squirrelmail, but at least it’ll be there to try.

Also, and slightly OT, where are the files for the webmail clients installed? I’d like to go in and do some branding (not to mention make Horde look better than it does now ), but I’m not sure where to start looking other than under /home/interworx.

They are in /home/interworx/lib/horde

I’d caution you though to make backups of your changes as most files in /home/interworx are overwrtten on upgrade.

Chris

Can you get squirrelmail/horde to run on port 80 instead of 2443? This is a big problem I’ve had with cpanel is many users are in corporate setting and their firewalls are closed tighter than my arse. Often they want to get their emails via web, and unique ports are a hinderance.

Thanks!

The short answer is “most likely not” and let me explain why as this is a common question. The 2443 and 2080 iworx ports are running on a custom apache and php configuration that we know works with horde and squirrelmail. To get a port 80 version we’d have to run squirrelmail on the system’s installation of apache/php and we’d undoubtely get tons of “horde doesn’t work” questions that we’d have to debug on systems that we didn’t configure.

Now, there is nothing stopping you from doing this on your system. The horde / squirrelmail files are in plain text and you can either copy those and reconfigure or you can just install them from scratch, they won’t conflict or otherwise be affected by iworx’s installs.

Chris

Hello Chris,

Yeah, but this is only webmail…

You do have point. I have already installed this in the server https location for all to use as I did with cpanels.