Support for PHP 5.6

PHP 5.4 is nearing EOL and it’s the only package available for CentOS 6 without having to use additional repositories.

PHP 5.6 is install-able through other repos, but they’re suffixed with “56” (php-common becomes php56-common). My question is would that work for InterWorx? I’m running a production server and I can’t risk testing it out on it just to see if it works.

If it doesn’t, anyone know a decent upgrade method?

I’m using PHP 5.6.12 on a VPS installed from remi repo. InterWorx uses it’s own php.

I forget to mention that PHP 5.6 requires MySQL update, so you will have problem with the passwords!

Hi Liam and dss

I believe IW 5.1 resolved the old password hash, but I could be wrong sorry

Also, if you search the forum you’ll see an excellent post from licensecart for upgrading php etc…

Many thanks

John

See, this is why I was hesitant. I could not afford to have problems during an upgrade path.

I feel like Interworx is a bit slow in terms of the updates, I was ready to deploy on a CentOS 7 server, but since it wasn’t supported we’re stuck with CentOS 6. Once CentOS 7 comes out I have to make backups, reformat and reinstall, then reimport – things I should be doing a few years from now. I’m a bit disappointed in this aspect.

I’m on 5.4 right now, and the only threads I’ve seen that had the problem were 5.3 to 5.6. If I go from 5.4 to 5.6 would I still have that hashing problem, or does it only affect 5.3 and below to 5.6 upgrade paths?

[QUOTE=Liam;27758]See, this is why I was hesitant. I could not afford to have problems during an upgrade path.

I feel like Interworx is a bit slow in terms of the updates, I was ready to deploy on a CentOS 7 server, but since it wasn’t supported we’re stuck with CentOS 6. Once CentOS 7 comes out I have to make backups, reformat and reinstall, then reimport – things I should be doing a few years from now. I’m a bit disappointed in this aspect.

I’m on 5.4 right now, and the only threads I’ve seen that had the problem were 5.3 to 5.6. If I go from 5.4 to 5.6 would I still have that hashing problem, or does it only affect 5.3 and below to 5.6 upgrade paths?[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain but it’s not them slow the InterWorx 5.0 was built on old set-ups and they couldn’t update other stuff, so 5.1 is updated using the latest technology and improves a lot. The only issue is 5.1 is in RC state for Centos 6. Centos 7 version is still in development. But since Brett has left InterWorx for personal reasons our contact between them and the partners are left in the dark.

The last Partner email was in February (8 months ago) when Chris came into InterWorx so sadly I don’t know where they are on the stages. I know via Paul it’s almost ready and should be out this year. But again we don’t know nothing.

Hi chaps

Mike I hope your well

I think like you it’s a lot more involved, when you consider they have to support centos6 and 7, clustering, even HA clustering, on either centos 6 or 7.

Also, centos 7 model changed and some of the command routines would need fully changing, so there’s a lot of work and I don’t think they will have employed more devs to make it faster.

Liam, I understand what your saying, but the reality is if you update php, I’m sure you should not have any real issues. The hashing old password, even if it exists as an issue to be resolved, would only affect the siteworx logins, it would not bring you offline and is easy to fix, by rehashing into old password. I am pretty sure though it no longer exists as an issue.

We have our test server running a higher php version, without issues.

If you need to test using a reseller account, just let me know and I’ll pm you login details for you, if it helps.

We need to schedule carefully with clients before upgrade to IW 5.1, but once we have, we normally use RC updates.

I also know some users running centos 7 without any real issues, but until it hits RC, I class it as beta, and not for production

I hope that helps and reassure you more

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=Licensecart;27759]I feel your pain but it’s not them slow the InterWorx 5.0 was built on old set-ups and they couldn’t update other stuff, so 5.1 is updated using the latest technology and improves a lot. The only issue is 5.1 is in RC state for Centos 6. Centos 7 version is still in development. But since Brett has left InterWorx for personal reasons our contact between them and the partners are left in the dark.

The last Partner email was in February (8 months ago) when Chris came into InterWorx so sadly I don’t know where they are on the stages. I know via Paul it’s almost ready and should be out this year. But again we don’t know nothing.[/QUOTE]

Does this mean InterWorx’s future is unclear, or are there other developers working on it? Explains why CentOS 7 support is a bit delayed, and I can understand that. Excited for 5.1.

As for PHP 5.6, will packages like php-common conflict with php56-common, or would the old one be removed before being replaced? Or would they “live” concurrently in the same server?

Many thanks for your input.

Hi Liam

I think only IW know their future, but I also know that updates to RC are been pushed out, so their are definitely devs working.

There should be no conflict on php or php 5.6/5.8 or even 6.

You have to remember IW uses its own packages while Apache uses a seperate package, and it’s this package you can update.

Many thanks

John

Hello John mate, and yeah I agree they have to do a lot to do :).

[QUOTE=Liam;27761]Does this mean InterWorx’s future is unclear, or are there other developers working on it? Explains why CentOS 7 support is a bit delayed, and I can understand that. Excited for 5.1.
[/QUOTE]

The InterWorx future is fine as it, but the guy who supposed to keep us updated so we know what to tell our customers, provide feedback and etc to them to improve the control panel. For example:

Development:
• Our CentOS-7 based InterWorx pre-beta is still ongoing, if you're interested and haven't yet given it a test, you can read up on it here (nginx, MariaDB & more): 
http://forums.interworx.com/threads/8203-CentOS-7-Suppport-now-in-Pre-Beta

• We are evaluating and researching options to implement a secondary mail server option allowing for capabilities such as outbound mail ratelimiting, a tentative contender is currently PostFix.

Remember, we are always ready and willing to listen and accept any suggestions, ideas, opinions, critiques and the like of the InterWorx platform. 
Our goal is to make it fit you and your customer's requirements as best as possible.

But we’ve not had anything for 8 months, and that’s not the InterWorx guys fault but the guy who should be doing his job as a Business Manager :).

Picture: http://uploadir.com/u/9kiep0wu.png

[QUOTE=Liam;27761]
As for PHP 5.6, will packages like php-common conflict with php56-common, or would the old one be removed before being replaced? Or would they “live” concurrently in the same server?

Many thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]

It will replace them when upgrading so you only have PHP 5.6, InterWorx itself uses it’s own PHP version as John said above under iworx-php so it won’t be effected.

I see. That was all I needed to know. Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

Everything I’ve read here in the forums and support tickets I’m 99.9% sure that 5.1 resolve this issue. I ran into this doing my own upgrades to PHP and had to find workarounds for this issue.

[QUOTE=Licensecart;27759]I feel your pain but it’s not them slow the InterWorx 5.0 was built on old set-ups and they couldn’t update other stuff, so 5.1 is updated using the latest technology and improves a lot. The only issue is 5.1 is in RC state for Centos 6. Centos 7 version is still in development. But since Brett has left InterWorx for personal reasons our contact between them and the partners are left in the dark.

The last Partner email was in February (8 months ago) when Chris came into InterWorx so sadly I don’t know where they are on the stages. I know via Paul it’s almost ready and should be out this year. But again we don’t know nothing.[/QUOTE]
I’ve been around here almost from the beginning so good to know Chris and Paul are still here behind the scenes.

I thought I would catch up to them first in the forum, but John is too active to compete with! :slight_smile:
I believe with a few more comments he will take that spot!

[QUOTE=Justec;27765]Everything I’ve read here in the forums and support tickets I’m 99.9% sure that 5.1 resolve this issue. I ran into this doing my own upgrades to PHP and had to find workarounds for this issue.

I’ve been around here almost from the beginning so good to know Chris and Paul are still here behind the scenes.

I thought I would catch up to them first in the forum, but John is too active to compete with! :slight_smile:
I believe with a few more comments he will take that spot![/QUOTE]

Chris G is new mate he came in Feb 2015, so not sure if there’s another Chris at InterWorx, and yeah Paul O is still the main guy I know here since Brett.

Hi Justin and mike

Hope your well

Yes, there’s a IW-Chris and IW-chrisg, but I don’t know if there the same person sorry

I didn’t reply because I did not want to bring this off topic, sorry, but I don’t think there is a top spot, and if there is, I’m sure its not me. Also, you guys are talking about areas I’m not involved with or know about, such as I am not a reseller or partner

I welcome new posts, that’s how I learn and I do try to help others where I can

I hope you don’t mind my thoughts

Many thanks

John