VirtualWorx?

Hi all,

I’ve just been thinking (yes, I know that’s not normally a good thing, but hear me out:)).

Have you guys ever considered expanding to include a VPS management/orchestrator product?

I’m sure we’re not alone here in having our InterWorx systems visualized, and VPS servers direct to customers is a huge market these days.

At present there is a lack of decent software that can manage Xen and KVM (and Hyper-V especially, which is seriously gaining traction as a powerful option!). SolusVM is just lacking and seems to often have security holes, HyperVM is dead, and anything Parallels is… well… Parallels.

There are a few smaller projects both commercial and open, but really for such things you want the developer to be able to provide service in the unlikely event that everything goes south.

InterWorx seems to be one of the few companies that really take security seriously, and actually put some thought and effort into ongoing development of software for the hosting industry. InterWorx is easy to use, intuitive and solid.

As the underlying Xen/KVM/Hyper-V systems are maintained in their own projects and companies, essentially all the product would need to be is a well polished front end, so shouldn’t pose too much of a skills issue.

I know for sure that we’d happily donate to a Kickstarter project or similar fund to get things moving, and gladly purchase a license as soon as even a rough beta version was available. We’d also be more than happy to provide access to our workbench systems for testing. I’d also be very surprised if we’re the only ones…

Such a product would also wonderfully complement the very promising work done with ARM systems and Calxeda, as it could easily be used for OS management and imaging on multiple physical systems too. This would provide an option for ultra-rapid template based deployment, which is a massive plus for the whole scalability thing which InterWorx is unrivaled at.

As I say - just a thought, but I’m sure others will agree it’s certainly an interesting idea.

Jon

Very intriguing idea, Hacman! It’s a little outside our core offering, but definitely related and something to think about.

Interested to hear what others in the InterWorx Community think :slight_smile:

Hi

I’m sorry if I’m wrong but is this the same functions as nocworx or at least very similar.

I was trying to look at nocworx but there no longer accepting any more clients according to their website.

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;21572]Hi

I’m sorry if I’m wrong but is this the same functions as nocworx or at least very similar.

I was trying to look at nocworx but there no longer accepting any more clients according to their website.

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

Yes - I believe NocWorx did offer this.

It also offered billing, support ticketing and other DC management features too if I remember.

However, they have not been taking new clients for a long time now, and the solution was in a different price bracket due to being aimed at managing entire facilities.

Jon

Hi Jon

Many thanks and if it helps any future development, as it is so similar to the function of nocworx, I’m thinking the amount of development work needed would be reduced as really all that’s needed would be a cut down version of the server/vps/graphs with all other functions removed or could licence different functions to more suit user needs.

Many thanks

John

Yea. NocWorx includes a lot of features that some people may not want or need.

For example we don’t own a DC, and have a large amount of resources tied up in an existing billing system, but still have a requirement for VPS management (currently everything is done by hand as there is nothing decent out there for Hyper-V).

Jon

I would contribute to a kickstarter for this!

Out of curiosity, has anyone out there tried Virtualizor? They just happened to add the ability to install InterWorx today:

http://www.virtualizor.com/forums/index.php?topic=7564.0

How close is this to what you have in mind?

[QUOTE=IWorx-Brett;21578]Out of curiosity, has anyone out there tried Virtualizor? They just happened to add the ability to install InterWorx today:

http://www.virtualizor.com/forums/index.php?topic=7564.0

How close is this to what you have in mind?[/QUOTE]

Seems to have come quite a long way since I last looked at it!

On the surface, it appears to be exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of… obviously it’s not developed and supported by you good folks though :).

Jon

ProxMox VE 3: Enterprise Grade Virtulization $0pen Source

We have been using ProxMox VE for a long time - and love it.
Proxmox VE version 3 came out recently and is a serious project that should be taken into consideration.

Few Reasons We like ProxMox:

1. Cost is FREE as in Open Source FREE
  2. Great community - open to help and … you can pay for support if required.
  3. Full KVM Support + Full OpenVZ support all on the same server.
  4. FREE CLUSTERING - you can cluster up to 16 servers together.
  5. High Availability Out of the Box.

( we have setup our initial master cluster using ProxMox and are able to provide full fail over capabilities - if we pull Ethernet on the First Node- within about 15 seconds it is live on the other node with ZERO loss of data. )

1. Storage Migration: You can migrate storage of nodes around very easily in ProxMox
  2. WHMCS & HostBill modules (other billing systems as well just not sure which ones)
  3. Templates out the Wazoo (in fact you can convert most any VMWare template if you want)

We love proxmox - and for the most part absolutely suggest it to most everyone that uses our datacenter.

We have yet to see what SolusVM can do for us that ProxMox cannot (unless you require XEN)

Combined with Noc-PS we can install Interworx automagically on a VPS in under 5 minutes from creation of the Virtual server in our billing system.

Not to shabby