Wordpress/Firewall related issue

Hello,

When the default setting of the built-in firewall is running, the dashboard in Wordpress is slow to load and also, the askismet plugin won’t work.

I’ve checked the support pages under wordpress.org, though basically they’re saying “open port 80 and it should be fine” - though that doesn’t help.

Whitelisting the akismet IP-address doesn’t sound like a longterm solution, as they might change the IP-address associated with the service.

Any ideas/hands-on experience on this?

I’d like to add that the “Latest version available”-function under vBulletin doesn’t work either. TCP IN/OUT for http (port 80) is enabled, and that’s all what is needed according to the vBulletin support staff.

Any experience on how to remedy this?

Hello,

Are you sure it is APF related ?

Did you try to stop APF and try ? these functions work with APF stop ?

If it is APF could you please paste here the APF logs from /var/log/messages which are blocked the request

Something like

** IN_TCP DROP ** IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:04:23:de:3e:88:00:04:23:d1:a1:e1:08:00 SRC=195.47.220.2 DST=193.37.150.34 LEN=44 TOS=0x04 PREC=0x00 TTL=56 ID=16318 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=6667 DPT=51973 WINDOW=2048 RES=0x00 ACK SYN URGP=0

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Yes, it seem to be APF-related. I talked with Kevin Stange (from Steadfast) and he suggested that it might’ve been something related to PHP’s “allow_url_fopen”, but that wasn’t the case.

I’ve been seeing some weird error messages too, for example email isn’t always delivered and gives permanent errors when using the APF-firewall + what is described above.

I’ll check the log again and get back to you.

Thank you for responding! :slight_smile: