Allow Zone Transfer from Slave Server?

Looks like we can sync interworx servers together, but how does one, when using interworx as primary name server, allow zone transfer to a slave server?

In my case, primary name server is run by interworx, and slave is with ZoneEdit. Having a heck of a time with dog slow DNS propagation since switching to our new server and interworx cp latest (which is quite nice, btw). I think the cause may be that we are running with just a single NS right now, since ZoneEdit slave has no data to work with.

I’ve seen mention of axfrdns which is installed on my CentOS 5.7 box.

If anyone has a quick and dirty (or long & clean) solution, let me know :wink:

Thanks

Not familiar with ZoneEdit. Here are two references I use when I find that DJB’s docs don’t suffice/work, though. Long/short, you’re probably going to need to use a perl script and cron - at least that’s been my experience.

http://www.lifewithdjbdns.org/
http://www.fredshack.com/docs/djbdns.html

Thanks @zombie.

Yah, I wound up scrapping zoneedit when it dawned on me that you pay $1/month/zone, ouch, that adds up quickly.

Wound up rolling my own secondary name server (using djbdns of course) on an old file server sitting in same rack as interworx box. Obviously not ideal having both name servers on the same /27 network, but better than a single name server, or 2 on the same box. Just rsync over the data.cdb file on interworx dns change and voila, sync’d secondary name server :wink:

3rd party name server solution sounds nice in principle, but having to pay a premium for slave services does not fly in a budget hosting setup. Free takes priority, and, well, if the network goes down, it’s ALL going down, so even if the 3rd party name server can tell ISPs where to go to find a site, it’s not going to load anyway…

if the network goes down, it’s ALL going down, so even if the 3rd party name server can tell ISPs where to go to find a site, it’s not going to load anyway…

That’s the view I’m taking as well - in general I try to place DNS in buldings with multiple exits and redundant power, etc, but for hosting if I lose the entire stack of boxes (building in as much HA as I can) then who cares if DNS is reachable when all services are not?

Rsyncing data.cdb is the official way to do things with tinydns master/slave I believe. I have to admit that I enjoy working with bind much more than tinydns.

Geographically separate name servers cannot keep centrally located web servers up and running, we’re right on that, even if it would be nice to have :wink:

tinydns is a pain, but this weekend was my first time dipping my toes, so to speak. Once I figured out the maze of symlinks and DJB’s way of doing things, it became much less painful. Furthermore, the reality is that Interworx crew is and has been dedicated to djbdns, so practically speaking the most direct approach is to create secondary tinydns and rsync the data.cdb file.

Move on is my mantra right now, I have to get back to development work, a full-time sysdmin I am not :wink: