Awstats: How can I use the standard interface?

I am wondering if it is possible to have Awstats open, from inside or outside Interworx-CP, using the standard Awstats interface (i.e., one frame on the left with a table of contents and one frame on the right with all the stats). That layout allows the user to quickly jump to any month, or year, instead of having to close the window and pick a different past month. If anyone needs to see a demo of this: http://awstats.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/awstats.pl

Can it be changed so instead of receiving that in-between calendar, the user is instead given the real Awstats interface in a new window like Webalizer does? The calendar is confusing anyway because no matter what day the user clicks on, the entire month’s stats are presented. Plus it leaves the user asking “why can’t I pick the current month?” even though he has…

Also, where are the logs going? I was going to use a separate installation of Awstats, but it appears the logs are being discarded everyday! Is that correct? I thought logs are supposed to be stored (offsite usually) for a certain period of time in case a legal authority calls on your assistance in a criminal investigation. But even if I’m wrong about that, can I preserve the logs so I can back them up monthly?

This currently isn’t supported and I’m not sure it will ever be Jimp. The problems are many. We chose to do the “static” version of awstats for a number of reasons not the least of which is security and performance. We can tweak the interface to make it easier to navigate but we will most likely never support the CGI version of awstats.

Can it be changed so instead of receiving that in-between calendar, the user is instead given the real Awstats interface in a new window like Webalizer does? The calendar is confusing anyway because no matter what day the user clicks on, the entire month’s stats are presented. Plus it leaves the user asking “why can’t I pick the current month?” even though he has…

I completely agreee with you here and I must have been delerious when I did the original interface -> awstats connection. The interface as is shows you “month to date” but why a user wouldn’t always choose the last day to see the whole month I’ll never know. We can get rid of this intermediate menu altogether as it’s pointless as you pointed out.

Also, where are the logs going? I was going to use a separate installation of Awstats, but it appears the logs are being discarded everyday! Is that correct? I thought logs are supposed to be stored (offsite usually) for a certain period of time in case a legal authority calls on your assistance in a criminal investigation. But even if I’m wrong about that, can I preserve the logs so I can back them up monthly?

There’s no laws (at least in the U.S. or Europe) to save logs at all for basic web hosting. You can turn on log saving if you like on the SiteWorx Account menu in NodeWorx and they will be kept around for a week (or more if you edit the iworx.ini file).

Logs are stored in /home/<user>/var/<domain>/logs

Chris

Is there any way to turn off or disable awstats for a particular site or sites?

You can only currently disable them server wide, which can be done by editing

/usr/local/interworx/iworx.ini and changing

[stats.awstats]
enabled="1"

to

[stats.awstats]
enabled="0"

Paul

Thanks. Looks like that ini file also sets where the tmp files are saved. My tmp partition is only 1 GB for some reason. Any downside to changing those settings to a tmp folder on a larger partition?

Also, once the ini file is updated, does it require iworx to be restarted?

Nope, there’s no issue in moving the tmp location to a folder in a larger partition.

You don’t need to restart InterWorx after editing the ini file.

Tim