Backup "Niceness"

Not sure if this has been discussed, but my quick search of the forums didn’t turn up anything.

Is there any reason that the Iworx backup script shouldn’t run tar / gzip as a nice level of 20 instead of 0? I believe it runs as root so it should be possible, but maybe there is some other reason im not thinking of??

Actually to set the nice level higher I dont think you even need to be root.

It really depends on the user’s needs. Some people have lots of small sites and do a full backup every day, and they want it to use as little resources as possible. Other people have large sites, and run their backups during an off peak time, and want to have the backups finish as fast as possible. You should be able to nice the whole backup.pex process if you want, and we may add the ability to control that via backup.pex paramater.

In the meantime, the 3.0 backup has added a compression level parameter, that gets passed directly to the tar/gzip process:

--compression 1 (fastest compression)
--compression 9 (slowest compression)

or any number between 1 through 9. This should help a bit with performance.

I was thinking more for when individual users backup their siteworx accounts through SiteWorx. I dont have an issue b/c I manage most of the accounts on my server, but was just thinking about it. What if like 3 people with decent size sites all do a backup at the same time, it could really bring the server to a crawl and the server admin has no control over this.

So I think it would be good to have an option for the server admin to choose a nice level when running a backup or to set a nice level for SiteWorx backups.

[QUOTE=Justec;13372]I was thinking more for when individual users backup their siteworx accounts through SiteWorx. I dont have an issue b/c I manage most of the accounts on my server, but was just thinking about it. What if like 3 people with decent size sites all do a backup at the same time, it could really bring the server to a crawl and the server admin has no control over this.

So I think it would be good to have an option for the server admin to choose a nice level when running a backup or to set a nice level for SiteWorx backups.[/QUOTE]

Hi

Completly agree !

We have a lot of users whom set a baclup at 00:00 AM + our own full backups, at this time the server is under water !

Currently we manually edit the user cron to set a nice 20 for their backups, and we also change the time to not habe all users backups set at the same time !

I think v3 wil allow to enable/disable the backup for users, maybe it is a solution if we do ourself the backup. But in this case we have to give to the user a link to see/manage their current backups

Also this last solution is only possible if we don’t perform a structure only backup !

So… in fact in V3 we’ll don’t use the disable backup because it would be more complicated

The backups is a real problem and find a good compromise between security/performance is not so easy

Pascal