Backup Problem

EDIT -
Can an admin move this post to SiteWorx, I accidentally put it under NodeWorx. Thanx Justin

“You are using more disk space then we can reliably transfer directly to you via SiteWorx. For a backup of your web data, please contact support.”

Is there anyway to bypass this warning?
It doesn’t even give me the option to just backup mail or database.

Just to note, this client is using about 1000MB of storage right now. I guess I can shell in and zip up the stuff manually.

If I need to do this manually what would I need to get?

• SiteWorx /home directory
    • Would backup mail also correct?
  • I see a “database” folder under the var/domain.com/, but there is nothing in it, so I assume all the data for mysql databases are stored in one centeral location on the server, which according to the my.cnf is in the /var/lib/mysql directory.

If I backup the /var/lib/mysql/siteworx_databse and the /home, that will be everything?

You’ll want to preserve file permissions so you need to use tar, not zip.

Also, you may want to look in the /home/interworx/bin/ directory and see if the old backup script is still there. It could do partial backups but you needed to download the data to your local box.

Do a forums search; there has been a lot of discussion on this forum about backing up data and what you need and where it is. I need to get some sleep now or else I’d do it for you.

Tim

I really like this post I found on Sagonet forums:

I will probably do something like the above, but am waiting to see what InterWorx 1.9 brings to the table as far as backups. The key thing I’m looking for is automated. Bottom line I will be adding a second hard drive and doing automated backups daily either with InterWorx (NodeWorx or command line) or Rsync to the second hard drive. I’m just starting to have too much data to do remote backups everyday (or even a few times a week).

What backup script are you refering to? Is this the beta one you tested when moving servers or something else?

Also, are you doing Rsync to a second drive for backup like the Sago post above or are you doing something different now?

Thanks for the help,

As I understand it theya re adding the ability to back up AND restore the backups but they will be complete backups not incremental ones. That’s in 2.0 at the earliest. Complete backup (inc NodeWorx settings) is farther off than that the last I’d heard.

What backup script are you refering to? Is this the beta one you tested when moving servers or something else?

Also, are you doing Rsync to a second drive for backup like the Sago post above or are you doing something different now?

Thanks for the help,

InterWorx USED TO have a rudamentary backup script that allowed you to back up the site incremtntally (any and all of web docs, email, database), but the backup file had to be immediately downloaded to the server making it worthless for large sites.

I just checked. The file is still there:

/home/interworx/bin/oldbackup/backup.pex

Not sure how well it workx though.

Tim

Sorry, missed this part. We hace company over and I was being summoned to dinner:

I am not doing anything right now but I intend to set up Rsync when I have the time to go into it and do it right.

And it’s no problem about the help.

Tim

This is odd, the file is clearly there, but I get the message

/home/interworx/bin/oldbackup/backup.pex

-bash: /home/interworx/bin/oldbackup/backup.pex: No such file or directory

The file is owned by iworx:iworx and CHMOD’d 755

I can’t su - to “iworx” anymore without giving out my master password (didn’t ask for that before) and my interwors password does not do it. (nor does my root password). Odd.

I’m going to move forward with the Rsync method for now and when InterWorx has an offering I’ll revisit the idea and make changes as necessary.

Tim, what do you think of newmind’s post on Sago as far as Rsync’n? I will of course do some more research, but it seems pretty complete.

I agree and had intended to follow his model (again, after I research it some more). The reason I haven’t done anything with it is that I want to make sure I know what I am doing bedore I start sinething. I’ve really only looked at in the most general sense.

My TO DO list has the following on it (in no particular order)

• mod_frontpage
  • Rysync backup
  • Spamassassin/ClamAV
  • Sympa mailing list manager

but every time I decide to start one of them I get distracted with something else more perssing. Currently that’s the search for a CMS for a website I am revising.

Tim

Rsync is already installed on the Iworx box which is nice and I was going to go ahead and do a backup to a specific folder on the same drive (until I get a 2nd drive installed).

I just thought of something though, how will this affect the SiteWorx limits?
If I rsync and then tar it (and make the tar owner root) that would keep that backup from showing SiteWorx account using 2x disk space they are actually using?

The easiest way to do this is to su - iworx and do it that way. The archive becomes the property of iworx (or root if you do it under root) but the tar format preserves the file permissions (by UID # not name). This is what the InterWorx backup/restore uses.

the password for the iworx user (you need this I just found out) are here:

/home/interworx/iworx.ini

IT is NOT the same as your NodeWorx login password.

Good luck.

Tim

Just started the process of adding a second hard drive, so I may not have to worry about the TAR and all that if it’s on another drive (although not sure what Iworx looks at exactly).

What advantage would there in doing and running the Rsync with Iworx versus Root? I was planning to just setup the cron job for Rsync to run as root.

I’m going to be working on this setup over the next week or so (or whenever it’s done) and will post my results.

Should be fun :smiley:

Tar takes up less processor power than cp. and takes half the time (I know from experience)

cd / tar lcf - .|(cd /mnt/second-drive; tar xpvf - )

That’s what I did of course my second drive is mounted as

/storage

What advantage would there in doing and running the Rsync with Iworx versus Root? I was planning to just setup the cron job for Rsync to run as root.

That’s more a question for Chris or Socheat. IMHO “iworx” is not as powerfulll as root should your script be compromosed but I’d imagine it does not really matter.

I’m going to be working on this setup over the next week or so (or whenever it’s done) and will post my results.

Should be fun :smiley:

I look foreward to it.

Tim

I posted this on the sago forums regarding root+rsnapshot. This is what we use internally to do remote backups and it works fine. Each storage server we have doing backup for 8 - 10 servers securely over ssh + rsync.

http://www.sagonet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5857#5857

Chris

Personnaly I use rsync under root. I’ve added these lines in the root crontab :

15 5 * * * rsync -a --delete /home /backups/
45 5 * * * rsync -a --delete /etc /backups/
15 6 * * * rsync -a --delete /var/lib/mysql /backups/
45 6 * * * rsync -a --delete /root /backups/

where /backups/ is a mounted point for the 2nd HDD

If I need to restore I use the -p option that keep the permission files.

Pascal