CentOS 5 Support

InterWorx-CP now runs and is supported on the CentOS 5 operating system. Both 32 and 64 bit architectures are supported. By extension, the Redhat Enterpirse Linux 5 OS is also supported.

Nothing special should be required - just follow the normal InterWorx-CP install instructions.

CentOS 5 provides Apache 2.2, MySQL 5.0, and PHP 5 out of the box.

Any questions or problems installing InterWorx on CentOS 5.x can be posted to this thread, or handled via a support ticket.

Paul

Migration shortcuts?

Let’s say I set up a CentOS 5 box with the Interworx installer, insure I’m running the same version PHP and MySQL versions on both my current CentOS 4.5 box and the new CentOS 5 box.

Is there a migration shortcut? Rather than use the Interworx utility for migrating a server, I’d prefer to copy data folders and have the CentOS 5 box take over the IP of the CentOS 4 box.

I’m hoping as long as the MySQL root passwords are the same, everything should be OK.

[quote=hubbadubba;14024]Let’s say I set up a CentOS 5 box with the Interworx installer, insure I’m running the same version PHP and MySQL versions on both my current CentOS 4.5 box and the new CentOS 5 box.

Is there a migration shortcut? Rather than use the Interworx utility for migrating a server, I’d prefer to copy data folders and have the CentOS 5 box take over the IP of the CentOS 4 box.

I’m hoping as long as the MySQL root passwords are the same, everything should be OK.[/quote]

The ONLY supported method of migration is the InterWorx Backup => Import/Mass Import tool.

There are many many other things you’d have to change than just move files. This has no margin for error and if you mess something up you loose support on the box until you do a reinstall. STRONGLY recommend you not try it. In the long run just using the mass transfer utility would be easier and faster.

hubbadubba, for what it’s worth:

I recently used the mass import tool to migrate an Interworx server and it worked flawless!
I started to plan for a “copy files” but ended up doing the mass import which left us with no problems…

-tsl-

Tim- message received loud and clear :smiley:

I agree the mass import tool works very well- used the command line process to convert my server frm FC 2 to CentOS 4.5 last month.

I just wanted to save the time involved in DNS changes this time around.

If I use the command line proccess again, would there be a problem setting up the CentOS 5 box in a test environment with a duplicate IP?

Im going to be testing on a test box and then getting a new server at my DC SteadFast and then just move everything over and change DNS. I will be doing this in the next 4-6 weeks. Depends how fast I can get testing and how busy i am working on a new website for a client. I’ll report back after I do the switch to let you know how it goes, but you guys will probably beat me to it :slight_smile:

[quote=hubbadubba;14028]Tim- message received loud and clear :smiley:

I agree the mass import tool works very well- used the command line process to convert my server frm FC 2 to CentOS 4.5 last month.

I just wanted to save the time involved in DNS changes this time around.

If I use the command line proccess again, would there be a problem setting up the CentOS 5 box in a test environment with a duplicate IP?[/quote]

Theoretically you could set everything up on a new box and later change the IP’s yes. Never heard of anyone doing it but I guess it’s possible.

One small thing I had trouble with on a CentOS5 fresh install with Iworx was I couldn’t load up the NodeWorx page (or anything http). So I tried service apf stop and then it worked. I had to refresh the time b/c it said I had in invalid license and then after doing that NodeWorx loaded normally. I then did service apf start and was still able to access NodeWorx normally.

I guess it was just some fluke thing, but thought I would post just in case someone else ran into this.

Update:
Everything seems to be working well. After I remember I had disabled root login to my server I was able to use the mass import to move over a few accounts and it worked great!

I am running CentOS 4.5 on each node in my Interworx cluster. At this time I don’t see a need to upgrade to CentOS 5, however would there be a problem if I launched a future node on CentOS 5 and left the current nodes runninng CentOS 4.5?

I’ve finally did the big jump!

I have started a thread highlighting and bumps I’ve had for my CentOS4 -> 5 migration here http://interworx.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14212