Change hostname

Hi All,

Maybe a stupid question…
Can I just change a hostname of a server, reboot it and everything is ok?
Or will I screw up the interworx installation or are there extra configuration files which I should change?

Thanks

InterWorx-CP won’t care, but a few things you’ll need to know about some services that may care:

1. Make sure you update your /var/qmail/control/me file with the new hostname
  2. Make sure you edit your /etc/hosts file and make it refelct the correct hostname

That should cover the basics. You may find some residual affects but none should be catastrophic.

Chris

Just a reference:

When I changed my hostname after purchasing the server I used the hostname command and also had to change the following files:

/etc/hosts
/etc/sysconfig/network
/home/interworx/iworx.ini
/var/qmail/control/locals
/var/qmail/control/me
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
/var/qmail/control/plusdomain

I think it was the /var/qmail/control/locals file that was giving me trouble with .qmail forwards, they weren’t working until I changed that, I believe it was that file.

[QUOTE=Lightfoot;13208]Just a reference:

/etc/hosts
/etc/sysconfig/network
/home/interworx/iworx.ini
/var/qmail/control/locals
/var/qmail/control/me
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
/var/qmail/control/plusdomain

I think it was the /var/qmail/control/locals file that was giving me trouble with .qmail forwards, they weren’t working until I changed that, I believe it was that file.[/QUOTE]

Idon’t think it was the /var/qmail/control/locals as this one can be localhost

Surely the /var/qmail/control/me ? no ?

For me I always do :

1. hostname myhost.domaine.com
  2. edit /etc/sysconfig/network
  3. edit /var/qmail/control/me
  4. edit /etc/hosts
  5. reboot

And it works…
So not sure for these others qmail controls setup

PAscal

I’m not sure which one it was. I just remember checking through all of those files in the /var/qmail/control directory because I wasn’t receiving root’s email. My ‘locals’ file has localhost and my hostname listed, which I had just changed because it still had the original hostname listed there.

Hello all,

I tried to change my hostname using Justin’s step-by-step guide, however after I reboot my VPS the old hostname is shown when doing “hostname” as well as within nodeworx.

Any suggestions on this?

Follow-up; it had to do with the virtuozzo config-file and it has been rectified now by the Steadfast-staff! (Thanks :))

Is it correct to have the hostname server1?
Or I have to define as: server1.mydomain.com ?

Thank you.