Changing Site's IP for SSL

Can someone explain to me exactly what steps to follow to change the IP of a domain that is sharing an IP with other sites? The situation is that I have over 5 sites shared on 1 IP, and Reseller Hosting shared on a second IP. I’d like to change the second IP to contain only 1 IP, so I can use SSL for that site.

I thought I could do it in the DNS Management section of Nodeworx but I can’t seem to. The only way i’ve been able to reflect changes in Nodeworx is to manually change the http .conf file, but even then, I do not get an SSL option on the site in question in SiteWorx.

Any ideas/instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi int,

I’m still not 100% clear on your exact situation, but in general the steps are:

1. Get only one domain on the IP address you want to make dedicated. You can do this by moving the domain in question to an unused IP address, or by moving other domains on the IP to another IP. Both these things can be done by editing the SiteWorx account(s) and changing the IP there. This will update both DNS and the .conf file entry for the IP.

2. On the IP management page, change the IP type from Shared to Dedicated. You can only do this if there is 0 or 1 domains on that IP address

3. Make sure SSL is enabled for that SiteWorx account

Does that help?

Paul

[quote=IWorx-Paul;12362]Hi int,

1. Get only one domain on the IP address you want to make dedicated. You can do this by moving the domain in question to an unused IP address, or by moving other domains on the IP to another IP. Both these things can be done by editing the SiteWorx account(s) and changing the IP there. This will update both DNS and the .conf file entry for the IP.

2. On the IP management page, change the IP type from Shared to Dedicated. You can only do this if there is 0 or 1 domains on that IP address

Does that help?

Paul[/quote]

Sure does!

Thanks Paul

Does that help?

Paul[/quote]

I changed the IP by “editing” the SiteWorx account (Allow IP changes, and then select the second IP), then went to IP management and looked at the second IP. The second IP showed as being “unused”. SO, I went to /etc/httpd/conf.d and tried to edit the 0_defaulthost.conf (since both virtualhosts in there, both IPs pointed to my main site), but even after changing the servername and redirect permanent, upon restarting the httpd service, I get:

[warn] VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 overlaps with VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80, the first has precedence, perhaps you need a NameVirtualHost directive
And yes, both IPs are correct and unique =P

I should mention that the site’s personal .conf file shows as being on the new IP now?

2. On the IP management page, change the IP type from Shared to Dedicated. You can only do this if there is 0 or 1 domains on that IP address[/quote]

Does this mean that a reseller with a single, dedicated IP must host all other domains on the server’s IP (instead of a second shared IP for the reseller)?