custom page when open webmail

We’ll wait for more feedback before we decide to change it. Feel free to change the file /home/interworx/lib/horde/index.html file if you’d like to make a custom login screen. Keep a copy of it though since it will get overwritten when interworx updates.

We’re keeping Horde the default, since it is the default in iworx version 2.x. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have folks choose Squirrelmail one time if that’s what they want to use. Like I said, it will remember the setting via a cookie when they do that. But, the file mentioned above is what you would change.

Paul

Ok this this is my sugestion how this simple selector should be:

1: some button inside nodeworx for change what is the default webmail on the selector.

[B]2: radio buttons selector and no drop down box.

[/B]

This Webmail Login page is exactly in the same style as the rest of the InterWorx panel. Why would you give this page a totaly other skin then the rest of the panel with it’s options???

Sorry but I realy don’t understand this discussion. If you wan’t a icon or radio button based Control Panel then why are you using InterWorx?

Just take the design as how the InterWorx team has designed.

I really cant understand your point i just sugested more easy things for final customers, usually they are people with absolutly 0 knowledge and i just want make the things more easy or intuitive…

I not undestand what realtion have this little new feature and my sugestion, and how its related if i use or no iworx…and why!!

On any place i no make coment about i want contol panel with icons, etc etc, lol, that is your idea no my request.

This discusion its about webmail selector feature…when this topic start this feature not exist, now its present, and i are happy just make sugestion and want listen other opions, now i know you like the drop down selector, and its ok : )

I just make sugestion…not understand your point about asking why i use iworx … contorl panel based on icons etc etc

If thsi is the final screen of the webmail sleector i are very very happy, anyway, just i make sugestion, and like IWorx-Paul say…he want listen to other guys too.

Best regards.

[quote=rone;12521]

Just take the design as how the InterWorx team has designed.[/quote]

If i do that, i think i never open this topic and today we no have this new simple but great new feature…

Paul, can you confirm (for those people who may want to change the page layout of the selector page - and I must say that personally we’d want Horde default, BUT I can completely understand some people will want SQ as default) if they change the index.html page - and then change the user away from iworx, or change the permissions, would it stop it being overwritten?

No, it would still get overwritten. But, an easy enough change that wouldn’t be overwritten would be to add a new DirectoryIndex line to the Horde section of ~iworx/etc/httpd/httpd-custom.conf. Something like

DirectoryIndex default.html index.php

Then you could copy the index.html to default.html, and only index.html would get overwritten, but default.html wouldn’t, and it would be using default.html, so it wouldn’t be a problem.

Paul

The user interface with Radio buttons makes the choices more visible to the user, and that’s why Dj-Grobe probably wants to have it instead of a Combo Box.

I personally prefer squirrel mail over horde, so I too would want to have it as the default (even If I have to be in a position to offer it to clients). I would also prefer the radio buttons over the combo UI.

Addition of RoundCube and making that as default would also be fine. (may be roundcube isn’t ready yet for production use? I don’t know, but I have seen a host offering roundcube as webmail)

I dont want be repetitive, but yes, tiger explain exactly my point.
Radio butons make more visble, just that, and like tiger i really want more squirrelmail like default.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, all a user must do to set squirrelmail as their personal default in the drop down is to login once with squirrelmail selected one time. I thought that would be satisfactory for folks concerned about the “default” option.

Would it be better to force the user to actively select one of the two webmail clients the first time they go to the /webmail url? I didn’t think so, but…

I don’t really get how radio buttons make it any better, but my ears are open. I think the select box is plenty visible. If the e-mail user doesn’t understand how a select box works, I doubt they’re going to have much luck using a full blown web-based e-mail client.

Paul

[quote=IWorx-Paul;12536]
I don’t really get how radio buttons make it any better, but my ears are open. I think the select box is plenty visible. If the e-mail user doesn’t understand how a select box works, I doubt they’re going to have much luck using a full blown web-based e-mail client.

Paul[/quote]
JIJI, Paul if you want leave on te actual way, its ok, but i can send you later tickets from my customers and you can see how high amount of users open ticket for ask…where is squirrelmail?
And if i setup in dropdown menu, by default first visble squirrelmail, other ask…where is horde?

Jaja, i deal all days with customers, on my server and on company where i work… and this situation i exlained just happen, i not are SIGMUND FREUD for explain why this happen but happen.

Higly percent of users, just no make click on dropdown, you can belive that is imposible or amazing or from other planet, but that happen.
As risk to sound like broken 45rpm vinyl record…i repeat i stay happy with actual feature, so i stop here and see whats up in the future with this

Again !! THANK a lot interworx Paul and other developers Iworx , thanks a lot for discus here in the forum in open way any thing… that not have price, Interworx is a wonderfull panel, with exleent human staff.

Ups, duplicated, just delete this post please.

[QUOTE=IWorx-Paul;12536]I don’t really get how radio buttons make it any better, but my ears are open. I think the select box is plenty visible. [/QUOTE] What I said is, the choices are more visible with radio buttons. For a fast user (who just enters email and password and hit Enter), they don’t even need to see the squirrel mail option. With radio buttons, the user must see the two (or three) webmail options before they hit Enter.

My guess is that having radio buttons with corresponding labels giving short descriptions to the webmail could give equal/better recommendation (from the provider) to the user among the webmail options, and the user decides what he/she likes. (as I said, it is my guess :))

Anyhow, I think the decision is not an important one, so you can decide as you wish and leave it as it is now. :slight_smile:

Just to chime in on the radio button/icon issue . . . I think you will find that an awefull lot of our user base dread the “iconishness” of the competition and would probably not welcome that kind of change, but I can deffinitely see what you are saying and I’m sure the rest of the team can too :slight_smile:

I think it is better to have less choices in the “public” interface and do all the configuration within the user-interface (siteworx in this case).

[quote=IWorx-Paul;12527]No, it would still get overwritten. But, an easy enough change that wouldn’t be overwritten would be to add a new DirectoryIndex line to the Horde section of ~iworx/etc/httpd/httpd-custom.conf. Something like

DirectoryIndex default.html index.php[/quote]That’s a nice way to handle it, because you always have your custom file and the most up-to-date iworx file side-by-side. But the quickest way to be sure something won’t get overwitten is to just set the immutable flag:

chattr +i index.html

Yes please configuratrion on public interface only !

[quote=IWorx-Tim;12586]I think you will find that an awefull lot of our user base dread the “iconishness” of the competition and would probably not welcome that kind of change…[/quote]Amen, brother!

I agree with HenriK … [quote]“I think it is better to have less choices in the “public” interface and do all the configuration within the user-interface (siteworx in this case).”[quote]

Also … it would be nice to have a more “usual” webmail entry point, like webmail.<domain>

Yes, a webmail.domain subdomain would be welcomed.