Default 403 Forbidden Page. Is it normal?

Hi,

I’m setup a new server with CentOS 7 + IW and after installation, when i browse my server hostname i get a 403 Forbidden page as i quote/paste bellow.

It seems that when i setup a new client account domain it will also show this 403 Forbidden page by default.

So i just want to know is this is normal or if there is some problem on my configuration?

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.4.10 (CentOS) Server at server.myserver.com Port 80

Thanks

Hi nqservices
Ramon posted over this and gave solution as below.
Can you check one of your vhost files and confirm if your vhost file is missing the line, Require all granted
If it is, please add it and restart apache
I thought this had been resolved very early on, so I am not sure why you are experiencing this issue, if it is the same, unless it is connected with Litespeed perhaps, as I seem to remember you installed Litespeed (apologies in advance if I am wrong).
If it is missing from your vhost file, you should be able to add it to the skel vhost file, so it appears when a new siteworx account is created. However, it will not add the line to any previously created vhost file.
I hope that helps a little, and Kudos to Ramon
Many thanks
John
Sites give an forbidden waring, this is the solution, edit the vhost file and add “Require all granted”:

Code:
<Directory /home/sitenl/site.nl/html>
AllowOverride All
Require all granted
</Directory>

Hi John (d2d4j),

Thanks for your suggestion and advice.

Im not running Litespeed. My server is running CentOS 7 (64 bit) + IW.

Do you think i sohuld post this in the Bugs section of this forum, in order for IW team can know about this and fix it?

Thanks

Hi nqservices

Many thanks

No, please can you confirm if this resolved your issue

If it does, excellent and IW read the forums regularly, but I will bring it to IW attention as it was fixed for this particular issue previously.

Please do not worry, I do not take credit from anyone, I simply post the thread link to IW and quote the original forum user

If it does not fix your issue, either you would need to give more details or open a support ticket with license provider

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Hi John (d2d4j),

I confirm that when i create a new domain, problem is resolved.

But my server default hostname page continues to show the 403 Forbidden page. I have checked and the error it gives is the following:

+++++++++++++++++++
[Tue Jun 14 02:00:48.782838 2016] [autoindex:error] [pid 11033] [client XXX.XX.XXX.XX:55014] AH01276: Cannot serve directory /var/www/html/: No matching DirectoryIndex (index.html,index.html.var,index.php) found, and server-generated directory index forbidden by Options directive
[Tue Jun 14 02:00:48.783047 2016] [authz_core:error] [pid 11033] [client XXX.XX.XXX.XX:55014] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /usr/share/httpd/noindex
+++++++++++++++++++

I checked and found that there is no index.html file in “/var/www/html/”.

So my idea is to manually create and upload a index.html file. I don’t know why my server does not has this page. Anyway, Can you please send me a copy of the default hostname html page?

Thanks

Hi nqservices

Many thanks, and I think I understand your post now
Here is a zip file of var/www/html files.
If I understand correctly, your siteworx accounts work as expected, no forbidden notice, it is just your server hostname which is giving the 403 forbidden notice
If so, you do not use /var/www/html for any hosting accounts, you simply leave as is and create your server hostname as a siteworx account, which creates everything for you.
I hope that helps
Many thanks
John

html.zip (12.3 KB)

Hi John (d2d4j),

Yes, the problem is just with the hostname page.

I cannot create an account for the hostname domain, because i alreadu reach the domain limit on my InterWorx license. So i think i will have to manually upload the files.

Or do you have other suggestion? Also it strange this has happen. Do you know if its a bug with just CentOS 7?

Thanks

Hi nqservices

Many thanks

I do not believe it is a bug with centos 7 or IW

IW uses separate vhost files rather then a singular conf file, which is outside of the host Apache root

You can upload your own files to /var/www/html, but myself I would keep it simple.

I am not sure what your license is you have, if it is the free 1 user license, it is locked down more then unlimited (or perhaps the 35 license, which I have not used).

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

I have installed today a new and clean CentOS 7 + InterWorx both running the latest versions and after installation in made, when going to my server hostname it shows the 403 Forbidden page.

Server has only 1 IP and at the moment i have not yet create any account/domain on the server. Just made the default installation.

So this 403 Error is a bug that should be resolved some time ago, correct? If its a bug, please tell me and i will contact IW support team directly.

Or this is normal behavior?

Note: The 403 Error shows both on the HTTP and HTTPS version. I have SNI enable because i will in the future setup an account on the server that will use SSL certificate.

Thanks

Hi nqservices

Many thanks

You need to create your server hostname as a siteworx account for the server hostname to display as a website in its own right. Ie not IW-cp

If you see 403 forbidden once your server hostname has been created as a siteworx account, this is a bug

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

And if i don’t create any hostname account and just leave as it is. Can it cause problems?

Thanks

Hi nqservices

I do not think it causes any issues

The only issue you may see would be if you tried to test the SSL cert for hostname but all services using the SSL hostname cert would use SSL without issue

I will spin up our centos 7 test server later today and test using a siteworx account to make sure the 403 forbidden is not present

Many thanks

John

Hi nqservices

I have just checked, and a new siteworx account webpage displays correctly

The issue over 403 forbidden when accessing by IP address or server hostname if no siteworx account exists, is fine. All that is missing is the HTML files from the Apache folder.

This is not an issue, and you can either leave as is, upload the files as I previous gave, or create your own landing page

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John