eAccelerator + NodeWorx/SiteWorx

I am using eAccelerator (a fork of Turck MMCache). I noticed in the PHP info link from within NodeWorx, it says eAccelerator is not enabled or caching. I know it is though because a “<?php phpinfo(); ?>” from a custom uploaded PHP file says it is.

All this led me to /home/interworx/etc/php.ini. I thought I could add the configuration for eAccelerator to this file so it would cache the scripts running through NodeWorx/SiteWorx, too, but the port 2443 webserver never responded to requests after that. I disabled the config, and it all worked again.

I know that eAccelerator can co-exist with the Zend Optimizer if it starts before Zend does. Considering Node/SiteWorx uses IONCube, does anyone know if eAccelerator can co-exist with the IONCube extension, too? It would be helpful to cache the frequently used scripts (ex: phpMyAdmin).

jimp,

Few things here:

The /home/interworx/etc/php.ini and the php running on 2443 are InterWorx-CP’s “private” php installation and shouldn’t be messed with without causing iworx-cp issues (as you saw).

The problem you’re having in general is that the ‘php info’ link in IWorx-CP is using the CGI version of PHP (in effect doing a /usr/bin/php -i) and if you don’t have your eAccelerator installed for the CGI version of PHP then it may not show up. I’d symlinik /etc/php-cgi.ini to /etc/php.ini and that should solve the disconnect.

Chris

Sorry, I knew it was the private config so I backed it up before editing it. I will stay out of it from now on. I’m certainly not wanting to break things. :o

I really wasn’t too concerned that the NodeWorx PHP info page didn’t give me the details about eAccelerator. But once I saw that, it gave me the interesting idea of using eAccelerator with Node/SiteWorx. Is it even possible? I would think features like phpMyAdmin would get a nice speed boost from it.

P.S. - Thanks for the fix, but it didn’t work. (I assumed you meant php-cli.ini b/c I don’t have a php-cgi.ini file.) I just read on eAccelerator’s website that it does not work with the CLI version of PHP, yet, so the NodeWorx CLI call is going to always report it disabled. Oh welll…

I really wasn’t too concerned that the NodeWorx PHP info page didn’t give me the details about eAccelerator. But once I saw that, it gave me the interesting idea of using eAccelerator with Node/SiteWorx. Is it even possible? I would think features like phpMyAdmin would get a nice speed boost from it.

IWorx-CP itself is encoded with ioncube’s encoder which does basically what eaccellerator does. The difference is that we ship iworx-cp pre-compiled whereas eaccellerator does it on-the-fly so iworx-cp should (pending major differences in the 2 accelleration techniques) be fast by default.

We don’t encode phpMyAdmin but may in the future for the speed boost. We were more concerned about leaving the open source portion of iworx-cp unencoded.

P.S. - Thanks for the fix, but it didn’t work. (I assumed you meant php-cli.ini b/c I don’t have a php-cgi.ini file.) I just read on eAccelerator’s website that it does not work with the CLI version of PHP, yet, so the NodeWorx CLI call is going to always report it disabled. Oh welll…

Ahh, ok, and I did mean php-cgi.ini but if it’s not supported no worries.

Chris

Good deal. I was just wondering if the two approaches are compatible, e.g., if they will interfere with each other. I have used Zend, which will coexist with eA, but have not personally tried IONCube before.

I think if you encode it the open source community is going to require that you include the “non-compiled” source, too. If that is the case, why not just include an eAccelerator iworx RPM instead? One less RPM I (err, we?) have to roll by hand is good IMO! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: