Effects of Iworx-CP updates

Hi,

I have some questions about the updates that are released for the Iworx-CP.
After the update from 2.0 to 2.1 and 2.1 -> 2.1.x it seems that everything in IWorx-CP is updated, or overwritten (probably due to the rpm packages):

1. Squirrelmail
    We use a custom SM with themes from 3rd part. After Iworx updates, SM is reverted back to the original delivered with the Iworx-CP install. We can still see our themes in lib/squirrelmail directory but our tries to revert in config has been to no avail. Only way to recover is to restore a backup of the lib/squirrelmail directory prior to the updates.

2. Fileman
    Since Fileman (AFAIK) lacks support for lang translation we have translated all html/php files by hand to our native language since we are bound to provide this on our services (in this case). After the 2.1 update, Fileman was overwritten and we lost our translation. Unfortunately we did not have a backup of the lib/fileman directory, but thats my own fault.

3. Lang translation
    With the update of 2.1 there was alot of new features which required translations.
    We run our native lang as default on Iworx-CP, and after we had updated the lang file and tried to replace it in NodeWorx I first had to change all accounts using this lang to something else, before I could delete the old version and upload the new one. Then I had to change back all SiteWorx accounts. Now, we currently do not have many accounts but what about the future when we hopefully have hundreds or thousands of accounts.
    Should I be able to update the lang/xx/global.lng directly?

So, how can I handle the above…am I making any sense?

Thanks
-tsl-

1. Squirrelmail
    We use a custom SM with themes from 3rd part. After Iworx updates, SM is reverted back to the original delivered with the Iworx-CP install. We can still see our themes in lib/squirrelmail directory but our tries to revert in config has been to no avail. Only way to recover is to restore a backup of the lib/squirrelmail directory prior to the updates.

This is frustrating to say the least. There’s no foolproof way to get around this but we’ll make it easier in the coming version. I don’t think we even need to overwrite that file each time unless it’s a major version upgrade.

1. Fileman
    Since Fileman (AFAIK) lacks support for lang translation we have translated all html/php files by hand to our native language since we are bound to provide this on our services (in this case). After the 2.1 update, Fileman was overwritten and we lost our translation. Unfortunately we did not have a backup of the lib/fileman directory, but thats my own fault.

Ditto goes here, we don’t strictly need to overwrite all files on FileMan files on upgrade. That said we ourselves don’t even support multi-lang for it so we’ll need to look into the best method for longer term multi-lang use.

1. Lang translation
    With the update of 2.1 there was alot of new features which required translations.
    We run our native lang as default on Iworx-CP, and after we had updated the lang file and tried to replace it in NodeWorx I first had to change all accounts using this lang to something else, before I could delete the old version and upload the new one. Then I had to change back all SiteWorx accounts. Now, we currently do not have many accounts but what about the future when we hopefully have hundreds or thousands of accounts.
    Should I be able to update the lang/xx/global.lng directly?

Boo, this is frustrating as well. I’ll have this checked out as well. We’re going to be doing some reworking of the lang system and will watch out for this case.

Chirs

Thanks for your input Chris

Just so you all know; I’m not complaining…I’m simply trying to handle the updates since we have customized stuff…but I’m very happy to hear that you will look into some of this :slight_smile:

Thanks
-tsl-

Just so you all know; I’m not complaining

If it was me I’d be complaining :), and you have every right to.

If it was me I’d be complaining :), and you have every right to.

Well, your devotion to the product, your humble attitude and your excellent support surpass that.

Is there any mailing list to subscribe to which informs about coming patches/updates?
I think I have seen this somewhere but cannot find it now?

If so, I can be prepared to revert some components. But as you mentioned, splitting up updates and only overwrite components thats been updated sounds like a plan, or maybe it’s not feasible?

Thanks
-tsl-

No, there is no mailing list but if if you leave AutoUpdate on it will apply the updates automatically (leave it OFF and pending updates are shown on the Software Updates screen in NodeWorx AND the major version updates are always anounced in the Anouncements forum.

We’ll setup a mailing list soon tsl and longer term we’ll have fixes for all of this.

Chirs