Email address forwarding

I a default email address that all email @mydomain.com goes to. I need to trash all email that goes to a particular address (ie. spam@mydomain.com). I don’t need to see any of the email to that address, just automaticaly delete it.

In other control panels I’ve used, I just filter all email for that address and sent it to /dev/null. But that’s not working in Siteworx.

Thanks…

Hi Dark_Seph-
Could I get a little more information about what exactly you are trying to do?

You have 1 catchall email address for your domain, correct?
Do you filter and forward from that catchall email addr to spam@yourdomain.com?

–Dustin

Yes, I have 1 catch all address set up.
I’m having a lot of spam being sent to one address. I just want to have everything going to that 1 address to just be ‘trashed’.

Not 100% if this will work, but it should if the flow is as I think it is.
You will have a .qmail-default that tells qmail to use maildrop and then the maildrop script checks if there is a file called catchall in the account and read that email address and maildrop does the actual sending.

If this is the case then you can just create a .qmail-email for the email you want to trash.

SSH into you server. Go to your SiteWorx directory in question.
Directory: /home/siteworx_account/var/mydomain.com/mail
Bad Email: spam@mydomain.com

Once in here create a file name .qmail-spam (where spam email is the address that needs to be trashed). In this file you can put your /dev/null and that should kill that one address.

If you have root access to the server, Justec suggestion will (almost) work. I believe if you just put “/dev/null” in the .qmail-spam file, it’ll complain about /dev/null not being a Maildir.

However, making the contents of the .qmail-spam file this:

(A single # on a single line) has the side affect of doing what you want - silently dropping the message into oblivion.

Of course, this will only be useful until the spammers decide to do a dictionary attack on your domain, in which case your poor catchall setup will receive TONS of spam. Catchalls can be nice - until a spammer finds out your domain exists. Then it’s better to disable the catchall, disable bounce messages, and create specific aliases for the e-mail address you want to be valid on your domain.

Paul

Paul,

Would this also work instead of the # (although if # works then it can’t get much easier than that)

|/home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' /dev/null

Nah, you don’t want to do that. The only valid values at the end of vdelivermail are delete, bounce-no-mailbox, or an e-mail address. And under most circumstances only want vdelivermail called for the .qmail-default path (via maildrop in our case).

If you want to explicitly state /dev/null, this’ll work I believe:

|cat /dev/null

But just a single # has the same affect in my experience.

Paul

Okay, just for clarity … if I have two specific addresses (vm@ and iplex@) that need to accept email but then trashed to /dev/null, I do not need to have them setup as a mailbox or an alias? Just create the .qmail-vm and .qmail-iplex files with the # in the mail dir? That should take care of it?

Yes, that is correct.

[QUOTE=IWorx-Paul;4436]If you have root access to the server, Justec suggestion will (almost) work. I believe if you just put “/dev/null” in the .qmail-spam file, it’ll complain about /dev/null not being a Maildir.

However, making the contents of the .qmail-spam file this:

(A single # on a single line) has the side affect of doing what you want - silently dropping the message into oblivion.

Of course, this will only be useful until the spammers decide to do a dictionary attack on your domain, in which case your poor catchall setup will receive TONS of spam. Catchalls can be nice - until a spammer finds out your domain exists. Then it’s better to disable the catchall, disable bounce messages, and create specific aliases for the e-mail address you want to be valid on your domain.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Hi paul

Just to understand well.

What do you mean by

Then it’s better to disable the catchall, disable bounce messages, and create specific aliases for the e-mail address you want to be valid on your domain.

Why an alias and not a mailbox ?

Just because I’m curious…

Thanks

Pascal