Error with Horde / Imp

I am having issues with users attempting to log in to their horde webmail. The error is as follows:

Jul 15 18:24:48 HORDE [error] [imp] FAILED LOGIN 127.0.0.1 (forwarded for [x.x.x.x]) to localhost:143[imap/notls] as test@domain.com [on line 247 of “/home/interworx/lib/horde/imp/lib/Auth/imp.php”]

I looked at this file, but wasn’t able to figure out what was going on.

If someone could suggest a fix, it would be wonder. I’ve attempted everything I could think of; changing passwords, removing accounts, adding new accounts, restarting services, all to no avail.

Thank you in advance.

john k.

John,

Take a peek in the /var/log/imap/current file and see if any more info is available. Hopefully that will lead us to a solution. Just post any bits of interest in here and I’ll check it out.

Chris

The entire file is filled thusly:

@4000000042d87d8a34d36a24 tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already used

Something is using the port? netstat -lnt shows this.

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

…and so on for every port its listening on.

john

John, what’s the output of
netstat -lnp | grep 143

output of netstat -lnp|grep 143 is

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2085/xinetd

and I tested imap manually:

telnet localhost 143

Trying 127.0.0.1…
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is ‘^]’.

• OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN] localhost IMAP4rev1 2003.338rh at Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:44:02 -0400 (EDT)
    a01 login username password
    a01 NO LOGIN failed

john

Well, that’d be the problem - that’s just the plain wrong imap server… The IMAP server InterWorx provides is launched from tcpserver, not xinetd, and it’s Courier-IMAP, not - whatever what one is.

Your next step would be to shut down that IMAP server (the courier one will very likely jump up and start in it’s place), and the correct IMAP server banner will have words like this:

• OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1] Courier-IMAP ready…

Once the correct IMAP server is running the next step is to investigate how this other IMAP server got installed - and then remove it.

Paul

well, i stopped imap with ‘service’ and restarted the process with interworx, thinking it would have the correct one, but to no avail.

the same imap4 is starting up.

boggles the slightly inebriated mind.

john

When you stopped IMAP via “service” did it cease to listen on port 143? My guess is that the init script is trying to stop the interworx IMAP, which isn’t running, so nothing actually happens.

I’d just try stopping xinetd alltogether (unless you have other services that are using it - none of the interworx defaults do).

Then see if the correct IMAP server starts up - it is most likely trying to start every few seconds, which is what all those errors you saw are about.

If all this fails if you open a support ticket w/ your server login I’ll take a look.

Paul

Paul, thanks for all the help so far. Its late and its been a long day, so I am going to try and take this up again in the morning.

Take it easy.

john

ar! trapped by my conscience.

i stopped xinetd, lo and behold…

• OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2003 Double Precision, Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.

Wonderful. You’ve been a great help to me. I appreciate it very much.

john.