Files permission 0666 when extracted from ZIP folder

Hi there,

I expect files permission to be 0644 when extracted from a ZIP folder on server. But having tried on a few on my Siteworx, they all return the same result, files permission were set to 0666 when extracted. I wonder if there’s something that I can do about?

Hi shyuan

I hope your well and not too cold where you are

Sorry, do you mean restoring from backup file, using IW restore or have you extracted the zip yourself

If from IW restore, it keep the standard perms and delete the extracted files once completed

Many thanks and sorry if I don’t fully understand

John

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. It is cold here! Haha :slight_smile:

You indeed misunderstood my meaning, or I didn’t explain it properly.

What I meant was: I set up a new Siteworx, I uploaded a ZIP folder to the server and extracted the ZIP folder. Once these files and folders are extracted out of ZIP, the permission of folders is 2755 by default, and permission of files is 0666 by default. I am expecting to see they are defaulted at 0755 and 0644. So my question was, how can I have these two permission values being the defaults when extracting ZIP folder?

Hi shyuan

Many thanks, and sorry, I think I understand but I’m thinking it is using the perms from the files when they were zipped, but I would need to test a zip file unpacking on a siteworx account

Please could I ask how you are unzipping the file once uploaded without ssh access, so I can run a test

Hope that’s alright and have a lovely night

Many thanks

John

Once uploaded via File Manager, I click the file.zip. From there, I choose to uncompress all files and folders. I’ve uploaded three different software’s ZIP files into three Siteworx, I’ve seen different behaviours in file/folder permissions, so I am not sure if has to do with Siteworx or merely because of how these permissions were set by the software developers.

Hi shyuan

I’m sorry, I didn’t know you could uncompress using file manager sorry, good to know though if I remember as I use FTP

I have run some tests now, and it would appear to me that what ever the perms were prior to been zipped are been retain when unzipped.

I did a simple test by creating a folder, creating a text file and copying the text file 4 times, zipped it using Windows 7, then uploaded it using file manager, uncompressing it and checked perms, which are RW 666, then uploaded a single file not zipped from original folder and it correctly assigned 644 perms

So the issue over perms maybe due to compression software and is not error of siteworx

I’ll let IW know about this post so you have credit and I’ll have a little think more about it myself

I hope that’s alright

Many thanks

John

Hi shyuan

Sorry, I did a little research and the permission of 666 RW RW RW are required I in file man to create the folder/files when decompressing the zip folder.

I could be wrong though and have emailed IW earlier as I said I would.

Many thanks

John

Hey John,

Thanks for trying to figure this out and email IW. Hope to hear some news about it. :slight_smile:

Hi shyuan

Many thanks, and it’s been referred to devs, but I would not like to say time lead to workaround or fix sorry.

I hope you have a lovely weekend

Many thanks

John

Hey all,

We were able to reproduce the issue and a ticket was submitted to the development team. We don’t have an eta at this time.